OpenIndiana / Napp-IT help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jay69

Feb 6, 2012
I've installed OpenIndiana on a 4G partition with 2x 1T SATA disk successfully.
Installed Napp-it successfully.
OpenIndiana see the 2 disk but when I try to create POOL in Napp-it, it complaint of no unused disk. I've gone into bash shell and tried various options, including deleting partitions, creating Solaris partitions,etc but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I've installed OpenIndiana on a 4G partition with 2x 1T SATA disk successfully.
Installed Napp-it successfully.
OpenIndiana see the 2 disk but when I try to create POOL in Napp-it, it complaint of no unused disk. I've gone into bash shell and tried various options, including deleting partitions, creating Solaris partitions,etc but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You need extra disks for rpool (system) and datapools.
If you have build your rpool from your disks, you have no disks left.

Although it may be possible to slice disks, you should not and this is not supported.
Use an extra disk (SATA 16GB+) for rpools and your 1TB as mirrored datapool.

Jay69

Feb 6, 2012
I've tried again with 3 disk, 160GB to install rpool and 2x1T but the system doesn't see the disk.

I tried slicing (partitioning) but that didn't work.

Does it means that the OpenIndiana must be installed first before I install the other 2 disks ?

Do I need a seperate controller ? I'm using the on board SATA so far for testing.

Although it may be possible to slice disks, you should not and this is not supported.

Jay69

Feb 6, 2012
OK, managed to get that working.

Could you explain the Menu -> Disk/Array option and when would I use that ? Thanks.

Jay69

Feb 6, 2012
It is used to generate a html table showing disk state
OK, so that means it's not really serving any purpose in the actual configuration.

Is L2ARC and ZIL configured automatically in ZFS ? I don't seems to see any options or commands to configure them or check the status of configuration.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Is L2ARC and ZIL configured automatically in ZFS ? I don't seems to see any options or commands to configure them or check the status of configuration.
Just add them as write cache log or read cache to your pool. zpool list lists them up.

cryoz

Apr 29, 2012
Hello. I am getting the same message (no unused disk!) but with a different setup. I installed OI with 2x80GB drives in a mirror (boot drives) and 2x2TB drives in a RAID-Z named tank (datapool). I was not sure if I was having problems with one or both drives in tank. I wanted to re-install OI and create a new pool using the same 2x2TB drives only from a fresh install. Installed OI with no problems. Downloaded and installed Napp-it with no problems. But when I tried to create a pool, I got the message 'no unused disk!' Jay69, how did you resolve your issue? Thanks in advance.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Try zpool import -f tank - your pool data is stored on the pool drives, not within OI, so the pool is still intact but not yet imported.

You need to use the -force switch as it was last accessed by another system and wasn't exported.

cryoz

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you for your response sotech. I do not want to import the same pool. I only want to use the same two HDDs with a fresh OI install. I have backed up all of my data on a 3TB external drive.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Well, you could always import it, destroy it to free the disks and start over... or try zpool destroy -f tank without importing.

cryoz

Apr 29, 2012
I did something not smart trying to fix it myself. I formatted the drives without exporting or destroying the pool thinking that would work...it did not. Thank you again for your help.

cryoz

Apr 29, 2012
Getting message from Napp-it, 'no unused disks available!' when I try to create a pool. Can anyone help me? Please and thank you.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
if the disks were part of a former pool and you are not able to import/destroy the pool, you need to reformat/repartition them
- either via cli and format command on Solaris or on a pc or mac (creating a pc or mac partition on them, i usually go this way due to easyness)