Openindiana install to USB flash drive fails

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

soundscribe

Mar 26, 2012
Does anyone know how to get Openindiana to install to a USB drive?

I boot from the live CD without issue and start the install process. The USB flash drive is visible as a device choice.

I accept the defaults and then get this error message dialog box:

Red stop sign appears
Cannot mount volume
Unable to mount the volume 'rpool'.

I've tried different USB slots without success. The drive is Patriot 32GB drive, as is from the store. Probably formatted as a FAT-32 device out of the gate.

I've read others have successfully installed OI to USB flash so I'm not sure what else I can change to get this to install properly.

Meanwhile, I've got OI just fine in a Virtualbox VM under Centos.

Kinda got bit hard by the OI/zfs/storage bug. I know I'm a sick puppy.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Does anyone know how to get Openindiana to install to a USB drive?
Installing OpenIndiana to USB is not a supported or recommended option!
Use a Sata Disk or SSD instead.

Even when you may get it working, its unusable slow.
(Solaris is not build to run from RAM like for example ESXi)

This may change with USB3 and SSD like sticks in future

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea, OSes typically are modified slightly to ensure minimum writes for the low write cycle NAND found in flash drives, especially USB 2.0 versions since those had much lower performance requirements.

soundscribe

Mar 26, 2012
Thank you gea and Patrick. I've given up on the Solaris on USB "project" as not being a viable option.

I've got a bunch more questions on other storage topics, but I'll start new threads.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Thank you gea and Patrick. I've given up on the Solaris on USB "project" as not being a viable option.

I've got a bunch more questions on other storage topics, but I'll start new threads.
minimal Solaris on USB?

thats the idea of project EON
http://sites.google.com/site/eonstorage/

but i would currently prefer a default Illumian, OpenIndiana or Solaris 11 installation on Sata (disk or SSD)

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I tried EON maybe 18 months back but I think if you are going with a ZFS solution OI/ Solaris Express 11 or something like FreeNAS provide better alternatives. I think FreeNAS works on USB installations.