OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
A new snapshot of Openindiana Hipster 2018.04 is available

OpenIndiana Hipster is a rolling distribution of the opensource Solaris fork Illumos with a snapshot every 6 months. It comes in the three flavours GUI with a Mate desktop, Text (very similar to OmniOS, another Illumos distribution) and Minimal.

2018.04 Release notes - OpenIndiana - OpenIndiana Wiki

Reactions: Patrick

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
napp-it 18.01 free supports OI 2018.04
napp-it 18.06 dev (apr 28) supports vdev removal (without raid-Zn support) and the new global system checkpoints (go back to a former pool state during pool import even if you added or removed vdevs or filesystems in the meantime)

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is there a trick to install Solaris based OSs via IPMI? ;)
Trying to do a physical installation as per your recommendation but neither this release nor OmniOS play well with either IPMI (SM, Java based) nor my KVM switch ...

It is extremely slow, basically either hangs here
upload_2018-5-4_18-25-43.png

or at another point (Solaris boot msg) ...

Is there a guide for dummies?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I can try HTML5, that was Java. And haven't used USB sticks in years for installation, but good idea ;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not sure I am too stupid, the HW is not compatible or what my issue is ...

Stuck at
upload_2018-5-5_13-37-12.png

X11SSZ-TLN4F (e3-v5)...

Will try X10SRA again
X10SRL works

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm ok.
The X11SSZ is not really new though
And stuck like that for 20 minutes now - I don't think thats going to move;) No timeout no nothing.

Will take a look at the USB settings...

Edit: Weirdly no USB options on the X11SSZ...
Same drive boots fine on the X10SRA though

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
And OI is behaving quite inconsistently for me... moved the drive to an X10SRL, first boot - no NICs found.
Reboot, Nics present but NVME drive gone. Next boot, nics gone again... another boot, still gone.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have seen reports indicating a current problem on current Illumos based systems (OI 2018.04 is most current Illumos) with the ixbge driver on some setups
Topicbox

There is work to fix this

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm mine are onboard 1G Base T's but maybe its a driver issue after all, thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Spent an hour rebooting various boxes trying to get an IP with SM boards today :(. Pretty annoyed...

Edit: Ok, turned out that my DC was frozen and didnt hand out IPs... so looks like error in layer 8

Last edited:

Wingspinner

Oct 13, 2018
A new snapshot of Openindiana Hipster 2018.04 is available

OpenIndiana Hipster is a rolling distribution of the opensource Solaris fork Illumos with a snapshot every 6 months. It comes in the three flavours GUI with a Mate desktop, Text (very similar to OmniOS, another Illumos distribution) and Minimal.

2018.04 Release notes - OpenIndiana - OpenIndiana Wiki
On your website you have a not about hipster not being supported by Napp-it. Is this true? I got a pro evaluation license but there doesn’t appear to be a way to uograde to Napp-it pro from free on hipster. Is pro only available on you OmniOS?

Thx

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Update to Pro is identical on OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris. As a first step you must register a Home, Edu or Commercial Pro Key in menu Extensions > Register. The logo switches then from free to eval, home or pro. They are technically identical and differ only from license. Then you can update to the newest Pro edition in menu About > Update (not available with an evalkey). For a single use cases you can request a 2day evalkey (without update option) at napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Extensions

OpenIndiana is pure ongoing Illumos, the common OS development platform between Joyent, Delphix, OmniOS, OpenIndiana and others. OmniOS use a fork of Illumos. This allows a freeze in a stable, long term stable and bloody version. OmniOS also cherry-pick VM developments from SmartOS around LX/ Linux zones and Bhyve. They are not in OpenIndiana. Some ccommunity extensions are also working/ tested only on OmniOS. So lacking support is not from napp-it but due the missing features of the base OS. The plus of OpenIndiana is the continuation of the OpenSolaris idea of a minimal server and full GUI version with desktop apps and a repo with many add-ons in contrast to the minimalistic storage server only approach with a stong focus on stability of OmniOS.

Wingspinner

Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for the reply Gea. Can you explain what is not supported on OI then? The website seems to say that extensions are not supported. Is that correct? It sounds like if I want all the features of Napp-it I must use OmniOS. I wanted a full featured os underneath such as OI or Oracl Solaris but that appears to not be possible if I want extensions. Am I reading the website wrong?

Thank you
Ron

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Napp-it Pro with my extensions like ACL, monitoring, replication and appliance menus supports OmniOS, OI and Solaris, see pro vs free in http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/featuresheet.pdf

The free and generally unsupported community addons (installerscripts to setup for ex Nextcloud) are mostly intended for OmniOS. You can modify the scripts for newer versions or to make them working on OI. But in general I would keep a VM server and a storage server as minimal as possible and virtualize other services ex under ESXi or Bhyve, LX or KVM zones. I prefer ESXi.

The general features that napp-it can offer depend on the underlying OS ex

Solaris is the fastest and most feature rich ZFS server at all.
The kernelbased SMB server offers SMB 3.1. Other features are NFS 4.1, ZFS encryption, vdev remove (all vdev types). dedup2, faster sequential resilvering, auditing but free only for noncommercial demo/dev use.

OmniOS does not offer these features but adds Bhyve and LX zones amd stables/ long term stables LTS.

OpenIndiana has most of OmniOS features (Stable, LTS, Bhyve and LX are missing) but adds the mate GUI with time-slider and desktop apps.

Wingspinner

Oct 13, 2018
Gea ,
Thanks for the clarification. That makes it quite clear that it’s best to stick with your preconfigured OmniOS based distributions for mostly turnkey production and consider OI or Solaris installs as experimental.

Thanks again for the clarification!

Ron