Open Computer or another idea

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris Cooper

Apr 25, 2016

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I actually just picked up two of the motherboards in your post at 50 each, offer got accepted right away so you might be able to do better. I needed a replacement for one of the nodes in the S6500 deal that was posted here a few weeks ago. I had one where the second CPU caused POST to fail every time.

I don't really have any advice on how to get these running without the full chassis but you might want to take a look at the way those nodes are structured to get some ideas.

Power chain goes like this:
HP Common Slot Power Supply -> HP s6500 Power Data Hi-Effcy Backplane Board 663289-001 -> HP SL230G8 Right Personality IVB Board 733177-001 -> Motherboard (12 Pin Power + Signal Cable?)

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I haven't been having much fun with motherboards that don't fit into chassis personally.

I would be looking to see if I could find a chassis to hold 2 or 4 or these boards with psu's and backplanes included to in a 2u or 4u configuration for cheap. The open compute power system is different enough that it would be a lot easier to buy as quanta windmill QUANTA OPENRACK WINDMILL SYTEM 2 NODES W/ STSTEM BOARD HEATSINK with a chassis, 2 motherboards and a psu for around $200USD.

It all kind of depends what you are trying to do I suppose. For my little home lab I would love a couple of 2 Node dual xeon ala 2670's to run server vm's on. The open compute chassis are kind of cheap looking but I'm poor so that's life. ESISO has a package with ram and 4 2670's on fleabay for $900 and the boards have 10GBe and two 1GBe. I could actually afford to buy 1 of these a month and 2 is more than enough (1 is probably more than enough - I'd just like to set up my server software off of my workstation at this point and 128GB would let me run plenty of linux vms for general server duty)

Chris Cooper

Apr 25, 2016
i currently have two systems: main server with 256GB ram and dual 2695v2 and a second with 128GB and the 2670s. Both are great machines but would love to have the windmill or other for an actual lab. Realistically its all a lab at home, but usually i cant just go reboot a server without migrating ~50 vm guests and that takes a bit without shared storage. i have also been looking at cent0s7 with zfs/nfs to esxi but have not figured it out fully yet.

Chris Cooper

Apr 25, 2016
At some point the open compute platform discussion was here and i wanted to share the hp blade idea as well. Like it, love it or not. :p