Open Compute WindMill v2 Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spun Ducky

Sep 20, 2016
What is the name of the connector you are using? I also wanted to know with that updated picture if that is still going to a regular atx psu or to one of those hp +12v psus? So for example could I use an atx psu and run a 12v line from one cpu connector then the other 12v line from another?

CosX112

Sep 1, 2016
What is the name of the connector you are using? I also wanted to know with that updated picture if that is still going to a regular atx psu or to one of those hp +12v psus? So for example could I use an atx psu and run a 12v line from one cpu connector then the other 12v line from another?
automobile terminals, like this:

the system consumes a lot of current. If you find a sufficiently powerful power supply - yes. ~ 1mm thin wire with a load much heat.

hmm. graphic card works on x8, of the x16 possible.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

billchurch

Dec 15, 2016
I have one of these Quanta Windmill boxes (2 node) and it's working great so far. 2 x E5-2660 w/ SR0KK stepping (supports both VT-x and VT-d).

However I was wondering if anyone has gotten VT-x or VT-d to enable and successfully boot. When I enable that, system seems to hang at boot. I don't even get the boot menu (after post).

Otherwise system is running great, but need the VT-x action.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Planning to buy one 2xNode.
Clarifying some of the things... I'm 3D artist newbie freelancer, still low on funds, so my knowledge of hardware isn't quite rich and just trying to find out cheapest way.

So is there anything in particular that I should be savvy about? And my other natural question is: Does this support v2 cpus?

Wictar

Sep 19, 2016
Clarifying some of the things... I'm 3D artist newbie freelancer, still low on funds, so my knowledge of hardware isn't quite rich and just trying to find out cheapest way.

So is there anything in particular that I should be savvy about? And my other natural question is: Does this support v2 cpus?
Hi! I`m 3d artist too, I have the same node, it supports 2 cpus, if you want to save money and are willing to do with their hands, some non-standard solutions - buy, everything works fine. You can ask me questions.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Hi! I`m 3d artist too, I have the same node, it supports 2 cpus, if you want to save money and are willing to do with their hands, some non-standard solutions - buy, everything works fine. You can ask me questions.
Hey!

Thanks for getting in touch!
I bought the dual node package and its shipping, turns out the package weights quite a lot and shipping agent including taxes will cost me additional $200 :D
So I had to buy the cheaper 2x 2640s

Will get them in a week or two

To use graphics card you had to get a secondary PSU (for PCIe cable), right?
Hm, do you know if its PCIe slot provides the 175w power as desktop motherboard do (for cards like amd rx480 which has no power connector)

Hm, what's your primary application by the way?

CosX112

Sep 1, 2016

v2 motherboard support v2 and v1 cpu's, v1 motherboard - only v1 cpu's.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
That's a nice machine!

Amazing :D.

Manually wired power cabling?

So does it boot from SSD without any issues?
In my experience some systems, both desktops and laptops, had some issues booting / installing on SSD, both had weird workarounds, how's situation with Windmill?

CosX112

Sep 1, 2016
That's a nice machine!

Amazing :D.

Manually wired power cabling?

So does it boot from SSD without any issues?
In my experience some systems, both desktops and laptops, had some issues booting / installing on SSD, both had weird workarounds, how's situation with Windmill?
SSD work great, uefi work. windows 10 boot without any problems.

Attachments

Wictar

Sep 19, 2016
Hey!

Thanks for getting in touch!
I bought the dual node package and its shipping, turns out the package weights quite a lot and shipping agent including taxes will cost me additional $200 :D
So I had to buy the cheaper 2x 2640s

Will get them in a week or two

To use graphics card you had to get a secondary PSU (for PCIe cable), right?
Hm, do you know if its PCIe slot provides the 175w power as desktop motherboard do (for cards like amd rx480 which has no power connector)

Hm, what's your primary application by the way?
I have an old GeForce gts 250 with additional power connector, it`s about 150w tdp, and my power supply is Zalman 500 w, and that`s enought)

Attachments

CosX112

Sep 1, 2016
I have an old GeForce gts 250 with additional power connector, it`s about 150w tdp, and my power supply is Zalman 500 w, and that`s enought)
gtx1070 and aerocool vx750(because cheap). Now create arduino controller for read temperatures, current and voltage from psu.

Wictar

Sep 19, 2016
gtx1070 and aerocool vx750(because cheap). Now create arduino controller for read temperatures, current and voltage from psu.
What about proper turn off the motherboard, and reboot, have any ideas?