open box Supermicro motherboard on Newegg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Looking at an open box supermicro board on Newegg. Does Newegg test these when they get back in? Or do they just forward them on to the next customer? Worth a shot?

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I'm not Newegg, but I can pretty much guarantee they don't test a motherboard that has been returned. It would require them to keep far too many supplies on hand.

If it was returned as "not working", I hope they would send it back to the manufacturer. If it was returned for any other reason, then I'd say it's worth a shot, if the discount is enough.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Depends on your luck.

Gamers Nexus had some bad luck earlier this year with a board that Newegg sent back to the manufacturer with bent pins, didn't get fixed then resold with the repair declined sticker still attached to the MB. Gamers Nexus returned the MB to Newegg without having opened the box then Newegg refused the return.

On the other hand, I purchased a open box Supermicro board from Newegg's Ebay site earlier this year and am still using it with no issues.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
So, totally ancedotal evidence, but: I got an open box Asrock Rack server board a while back...came with EVERYTHING the retail one came with, even cables and IO shield still sealed in the bags. OTOH, they only guarantee you'll get a bare board.

Maybe...just maybe...if its a server board, you have less chance that some aspiring young gamer trashed it by accident and returned it.

They used to have a "no warranty" policy ( other than any manufacturers warranty for items that hadn't been registered by the original purchaser). But, they also had a "no questions asked" return policy within 30 days, in case the board was DOA.

Last edited: