Only half of the LSI 9210-8i is working?

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Dallas, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Dallas

Dallas New Member

Only one of the two 4x SAS ports on my LSI HBA appears to be working.

I have an 8 drive backplane, this HBA card has one 4x port feeding the top 4 drives and the other 4x port feeding the bottom 4 drives.

Only port 1, the slot at the back of the card works. Allowing the 4 drives connected to it to be recognized.

If I simply swap the two breakout cables at the HBA, then the other 4 drives will be recognized. This pretty much verifies that the backplane, both sets of break out sas cables, and drives are all working properly.

Am I missing anything else that could be causing this? is this a bad card or should I be trying anything else?

Additionally, I connected one of the breakout cables to the onboard SCU (X9DR3-LN4F+)

All of the drives will show up as recognized in the bios and during boot. But I cannot get these embedded SCU connected drives to show up in Hyper-V 2016. Any help here is appreciated too. I'm assuming this type of embedded controller is just not supported by hypervisors?

Background, I just bought one of these used supermicro servers for a home lab. So far the shakedown is going really well with the exception of this LSI HBA.

Thank you,

Dallas

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. Dallas

Dallas New Member

Additionally,

When I boot from a linux usb boot image. It will find all my drives. The 4 LSI HBA SCU drives plus the embedded motherboard SCU attached drives.

It is just Hyper-V that is not finding the drives. I've tried manually installing the intel drivers via .inf files etc.

3. msg7086

msg7086 Member

I recalled somewhere saying that some firmware has only half of ports enabled. If you have flashed the card, this could be the problem. Otherwise the card may be broken.

4. Dallas

Dallas New Member

That Solved it! It looked like it had a current firmware, but i downloaded new copies and reflashed... All is well.

Thank you.

5. msg7086

msg7086 Member

You are very welcome XD