Only Domain Master Browser sees SMB shares in Windows Network folder

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
I have spent a few days trying to figure this out and I am on the verge of giving up and just using Mapped drives, Libraries, Quick access etc.

On the same subnet, I have Domain connected servers, clients and SMB shares; and also Workgroup PCs.
The servers are Windows Server 2019
The clients are Windows 10 pro 1909
The SMB shares are from OmniOS/napp-it

I would like all computers to see the SMB shares under the Windows Network folder. At the moment, only the Domain Master Browser can see these. Because the Domain Master can see the SMB shares, I have assumed it is a Windows issue, not OmniOS. Therefore, I have moved my query here from my post in the Solaris Forum.

All computers can access the SMB shares by \\name or \\IP address.

There are currently 2 Master Browsers: for the Domain it is the Primary Domain Controller DC1 and for the Workgroup it is a desktop called WD1. I checked this by using the command [nbtstat -a name] to each computer on the network and also using NetBScanner.

In the Network folders, the following are visible:

Domain - Master Browser DC1:
- all SMB shares
- all Domain computers
- only 2 Workgroup computers (WD2, LPT1)

Domain - Other servers & clients
- only Domain computers with 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' turned ON

Workgroup - Master Browser WD1:
- only Domain computers with 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' turned ON
- all Workgroup computers (WD1, WD2, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3)
- a printer/scanner

Workgroup - Other clients

...there are some visibility issues with the Workgroup computers, but hopefully this isn't linked to the SMB issue.

I tried removing all SMB 1.0 features from the Primary DC1 (Master Browser) and after restart, the OmniOS SMB shares disappeared from DC1.
I then forced Secondary DC2 to be Master Browser, and the OmniOS shares appeared in DC2, which still has SMB1.0 features installed.
Apparently 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client' only (not server) is required to see the SMB shares.
Only the Domain Master Browser can see the SMB shares.
...I reinstalled 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client' on DC1 & DC2 and DC1 is Master Browser again.

I tried installing 'SMB 1.0/CIFS features' (client & server) on other Domain servers, clients and Workgroup clients, including client WD1 Workgroup Master Browser, but only the Domain Master Browser can see the SMB shares.

Other info if relevant?:

'net view' only works on the Master Browsers (Domain/Workgroup)
'net view \\Name' from Domain to Domain computers = shows shared resources
'net view \\Name' from Domain to Workgroup computers = System error 5 has occurred.
'net view \\Name' from Workgroup to DC1 = shows shared resources
'net view \\Name' from Workgroup to SMB shares = shows shared resources
'net view \\Name' from Workgroup to Domain computers = System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.

'nbtstat -a SMBSHARE' =
SMBSHARE <00>
SMBSHARE <20>
Domain <00>

'nbtstat -a DC1' (Priamry DC) =
DC1 <00>
DC1 <20>
Domain <00>
Domain <1B>
Domain <1C>
Domain <1D>
Domain <1E>
Domain <20>
**__MSBROWSE__* <01>

'nbtstat -a DC2' (Secondary DC) =
DC2 <00>
DC2 <20>
Domain <00>
Domain <1C>
Domain <1E>

'nbtstat -a DD1' (Domain Desktop Client) =
DD1<00>
DD1<20>
Domain <00>
Domain <1E>

'nbtstat -a WD1' (Workgroup Desktop) =
WD1 <00>
WD1 <20>
WORKGROUP <00>
WORKGROUP <1D>
WORKGROUP <1E>
**__MSBROWSE__* <01>

'nbtstat -a WD2' (Workgroup Desktop) =
WD2 <00>
WD2 <20>
WORKGROUP <00>

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If Windows 10 supports mDNS discovery you can enable the mdns service in OmniOS in menu Services > Bonjour and publish the server and the SMB service.

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
Believe win 10 no longer understands master browser. You need to turn on network discovery.
Network Discovery is turned on.

If Windows 10 supports mDNS discovery you can enable the mdns service in OmniOS in menu Services > Bonjour and publish the server and the SMB service.
I have enabled 'Bonjour dns/multicast service' and 'Advertize SMB service', but it hasn't made any difference.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I can add

My Windows 10 Pro (19.09-64, AD member) shows other Windows computers and OmniOS fileservers from same subnet under "network" when I enable mdns for SMB in OmniOS. When I disable mdns, my OmniOS server disappears. Apple iTunes/Bonjour is not installed on Windows.

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
Thanks Gea,
Is your Windows 10 Pro the Master Browser, if not what operating system is your Master Browser?
Do you have 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client' feature enabled?

Are these correct:

1589373408407.png

1589373475082.png

Last edited:

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Master Browser is very much still in/on Windows 10, it is makes a mess too like previous versions.
Go to all machines, kill Master Browser, only have it on the DC. Make sure your DNS resolves the servers and their IP's. SMB 1.0 for older networked systems and/or other genders of OS's that are not windows.