Online (double conversion) UPS noise: Cyberpower OL1500 or APC 1500 RM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Anyone has experience with these, how loud are the fans in these?
Do batteries in these need to be replaced more often than cheaper non-online models? How often do you replace?
Besides recently moving most of my networking off copper to fiber to protect systems from lightning surges I thought I absolutely must buy online ups.
During storms part of my equipment suffers reboots or shutdowns, and I've previously been shutting down when I hear thunderstorms but that's actually very expensive, both in terms of time spent on recovering from downtime and business expenses. But it's all at home. My room is already loud but I don't really look forward making it much louder.
cyberpower seems cheaper and noise according to datasheet is 38-55. apc is unclear at 55, is it always loud?

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Seriously, nobody has these? I would think they would be pretty popular in homelabs. Anyone can comment on noise of these units?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have a smart ups srt 1500 (SRTL1500RMXLI-NC), not sure if you mean this ups.
Other than the alarm noise it's quiet at ~40% load when power outagges occur compared to supermicro 846 & 836 fans.
I think the noise will go up with higher loads.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
All of the APC and Eaton UPS's I have are decently quiet unless running on battery, recharging after a power loss or running at near capacity so that the fans kick up to full speed to keep the inside cool. Around the house and office I have
* Eaton 5P 1500 (tower)
* APC Smart-UPS 1500 (tower)
* APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 (tower)
* APC Smart-UPS RT 3000 (rack/tower 30A 120v)
* APC Smart-UPS RT 5000 & 6000 (rack/tower 30A 240v)

If you have enough problems with lightning that required you to convert to fiber from copper you may have more issues than a UPS can help you with - have you had problems with other appliances / electronics than your computers? Have you had an electrician out to check on the grounding setup in the house to see if it needs to be adjusted?

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Will do soon, yeah.
I insisted to have a second grounding rod installed but I don't remember if that happened before or after the installation.
Other electronics no but computers, even those connected through UPS(and there's also some sort of surge protector on the breaker panel too!) either shut down or reboot, although no other damage except for a glitcy port on GPU now which is unusable after strike. All affected devices are grounded.
Thanks for report!