One of the cheaper 16tbs not on backorder right now

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
$529 for 16TB? Isn't that about $250 overpriced for being considered a good deal? It's from a third party seller too, not newegg.. Not really any great deal at all, especially given that 10tb drives could be picked up for as low as $129 a few months ago.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
ooh I'd like to hear about your chia setup.

I've got about 24TB and it's a struggle to plot.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
$529 for 16TB? Isn't that about $250 overpriced for being considered a good deal? It's from a third party seller too, not newegg.. Not really any great deal at all, especially given that 10tb drives could be picked up for as low as $129 a few months ago.
Well then show us where to get "ok" 16TB drives at 279US$ now?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Do You want HD price to come down? Then STOP playing the game and wasting HD/SSDs on this nonsense.
Repeat after me - it's all a scam and we don't need yet another crypto.
Well some people want to dance until music stops. I think chia could become better alternative to Bitcoin or Etherum.

But hey at the end yes I trust financial institutions and government more than a random group of engineers but for me chia farming is fun.

BTW why do we need hdd prices to come down? What do you plan to store on them? Lot of people were hoarding data like copy of YouTube. Was this better usage of hard drive space?

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
ooh I'd like to hear about your chia setup.

I've got about 24TB and it's a struggle to plot.
most of it is 10TB HGST sas-3 in 36/72 bay supermicro servers. I also have 2x 84 bay storage scalers. I spent about half on farming servers and drives and the other half on a dozen servers to plot them all , each having dual E5 2690v4 , 128GB ram and 6-8 TB in nvme each. . I can plot around 75TB/day. Getting plots setup early was key to success. Not so much anymore now, network is too big and growing too fast. I also bought all this equipment in March before the surge. I wouldn’t want to pay today’s prices for drives they are 3x higher than what I paid.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
You started plotting in March? That's huge. Congrats.

What did you use for nvme on the older xeons?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Based on my calculation, yobigd must be a millionaire now. Congrats! There is not enough f.u in the world for you so I am not going to say it :)

His actions is pretty bold though since early predictions for targeting $30-$50 price range.

If I had started plotting and farming since march by using my spare drives, based on my calculation I would have 100K in chia now. I just didn't know such time/space based coins exist.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Does the quality of the non plotting drives even matter? Could just buy used datacenter drives?

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
Based on my calculation, yobigd must be a millionaire now. Congrats! There is not enough f.u in the world for you so I am not going to say it :)

His actions is pretty bold though since early predictions for targeting $30-$50 price range.

If I had started plotting and farming since march by using my spare drives, based on my calculation I would have 100K in chia now. I just didn't know such time/space based coins exist.
ive made just over $100k yea but not millionaire. I didn’t start early enough as it took a while from some equipment to come in and I didn’t start plotting until a few weeks later. Yea I took big risk spent over $85k but I was estimating price target to be around $500. My reasoning for the gamble was based entirely on who the creator was, inventor of BitTorrent and it has big company backers so not some scummy knock off coin. Didn’t expect it to jump up to $1600. I sold about 1/3 too early on first day but did sell a bunch at the higher price point. At this point (after equipment was paid off) I’m just converting it all to eth and holding.

Reactions: Bert

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Does the quality of the non plotting drives even matter? Could just buy used datacenter drives?
no speed hardly matters, the data just sits there and gets read, crappy SMR usb drives work too.

others have used lots of old cheap 10k or 15k drives to plot on as an alternative to fast SSDs. Good option for the people who already have a dozen fast spinners.

Reactions: Bert

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
ive made just over $100k yea but not millionaire. I didn’t start early enough as it took a while from some equipment to come in and I didn’t start plotting until a few weeks later. Yea I took big risk spent over $85k but I was estimating price target to be around $500. My reasoning for the gamble was based entirely on who the creator was, inventor of BitTorrent and it has big company backers so not some scummy knock off coin. Didn’t expect it to jump up to $1600. I sold about 1/3 too early on first day but did sell a bunch at the higher price point. At this point (after equipment was paid off) I’m just converting it all to eth and holding.
Congrats, I got in a week before transactions were enabled, after first learning about Chia 2 years ago so kicking myself. Only mined 11 blocks so far so about 75% to ROI with current prices. Are you planning on farming the drives long term or repurposing the storage for another task/coin? Any thoughts on spacemesh?

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
no speed hardly matters, the data just sits there and gets read, crappy SMR usb drives work too.
This is true, but there's a catch -- when you're writing to the drive, that slows the whole thing down enough that your plot lookup times can start to get too high. So if you have a SMR drive half full of plots you're farming, and you want to copy more plots onto it, you essentially stop farming the existing plots that are on there while the (very very slow) write is in progress. A possible workaround is to keep farming the plots in a temp space until you have enough to fill the SMR drive entirely, then write it all at once, delete the plots from the temp, and only then start farming on the SMR drive. I'd considered doing this when the availability of non-SMR drives was getting pretty bad, but I'm trying to avoid buying hardware I won't have an alternate use for if/when chia crashes, so I haven't gone down that road yet.