OmniOS Print Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chris

Jan 15, 2013
Germany
zfs-server.de
I want change my nas to OmniOS in the future. The only problem I have is that CUPS was removed from OmniOS in the past. I have tryed a bit with lpadmin, but dosn´t work for me.
I want to attach a local USB printer to my nas and share it via IPP to Windows and MAC OS clients.
Can anyone help me with getting a printserver working on OmniOS?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Why not using a dedicated USB print server box?
They are from 30 Euro up - no need to hassle with your storage appliance.

chris

Jan 15, 2013
Germany
zfs-server.de
A USB print server box is an additional device and consumpts additional power. It would be nice having it in my nas box. So I don´t have only a storage server, but even a multifunctional server for zfs storage, mediastreaming an printing like I have it now with openindiana.
I like OmniOS because it has a very small footprint and will be updated more often.

Derf

May 31, 2013
I want change my nas to OmniOS in the future. The only problem I have is that CUPS was removed from OmniOS in the past. I have tryed a bit with lpadmin, but dosn´t work for me.
I want to attach a local USB printer to my nas and share it via IPP to Windows and MAC OS clients.
Any progress here? This is something I may look at to add functionality to my microserver box in the near future.

brutalizer

Jun 16, 2013
OmniOS is Solarish. So it should be possible to install binary CUPS files? What package system does OmniOS use? IPS? Or, install Linux/Windows in a VM and use Linux as CUPS server?