OmniOS/OpenIndiana running from Thumb Drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
If I recall correctly, if you chown the share to you/group and then chmod 775 that should kill the acl, but make sure it does...
Appears to be working so far. I installed Joyent Packages and added "export PATH=/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:$PATH" to roots .bashrc but it doesn't do anything. How do I modify the PATH variable on OmniOS?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Solaris CIFS behaves different to Samba as it is ACL only and always. Next, you cannot delete or kill ACL on Solaris ZFS. If you remove ACL then you have a default ACL set that is equal to the Unix permissions.

Another problem to consider. ACL has advanced inheritance features not available with traditional Unix permissions. If you set Unix permissions via chmod, these inheritance settings are lost.

So best of all suggestion with Solaris: Do not use traditional Unix permissions with CIFS. Use ACL all the way.
If you want grant access only for a user, remove everyone@ and add the user with modify or full permissions.

The inheritance settings are used when you create new files or folders.

Easiest way to set ACL on Solaris:
- Do it from Windows as root but do not set deny rules from Windows or
- Use napp-it and the ACL extension (free for basic settings)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Appears to be working so far. I installed Joyent Packages and added "export PATH=/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:$PATH" to roots .bashrc but it doesn't do anything. How do I modify the PATH variable on OmniOS?
try /root/.profile

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
try /root/.profile
Yep, that worked. Now to work on getting it to pay attention to my UPS. And I convinced the wife that we need to start saving up for drives to replace the 4x1TB drives that are in it now.