OmniOS Napp-it Replication Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
This question is aimed mainly at Gea but others may be able to help.
I'm running OmniOS with Gea's excellent Napp-It on top. I'm currently replicating several ZFS filesystems from one pool to another pool using Napp-it's replication feature once per week.

I've noticed that on both the source pool and the target pool that I have an increasing number of matching snapshots for each one of these snapshots and would like a way to cull these.

After the replication job is complete I'd like to:
- Remove the snapshot from the source
- Keep a maximum of 52 (1 year @ 1 per week) snapshots on the target

Is this possible using the GUI or is this something that I'll have to do outside of Napp-it and from a script instead? If so, could anyone provide some assistance with this?

I already have daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshots on the source pool configured for my regular snapshots and would like to keep these unmodified or, perhaps, use these as the source of the replication to the target pool instead of creating a new snapshot for replication.

Thanks,
M

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You cannot remove all snapshots from the source and you cannot use any snaps for a replication. You need at least a pair that must represent the exact same state on source and target side as both sides are using this snap as base for an incremental replication. I usually preserve at last two source replication snaps. In case of problems with the newest snap-pair-number, you can delete the newest on target side to use the former snap-pair.

If you want to hold snaps on target side for one year, simply set the hold value of the replication job to 365

Bob T Penguin

Dec 16, 2015
Hello,
I have Nappit running with replication between two servers.
I initially configured the replication job on the TARGET system to replicate the SOURCE filesystem every 24hrs, I didn't configure how many snaps to keep. The Nappit default appears to be to keep the last 2 replication jobs (that's what it says in the config boxes). This config ran for a few weeks an everything was OK. I had 3 snaps on the SOURCE filesystem (current plus last 2) and 3 snaps on the TARGET system.
I then changed the replication schedule to every 4hrs and keep 40. Now I have 41 snaps on the TARGET system but still 3 on the SOURCE system. The replication snap numbers all increment up and it seems to be working OK.
The replication job creates its own snapshots that are different to the normal 15mins, 1hr, 1day etc snap jobs. I find the replication snaps on the SOURCE filesystem still appear in "windows previous version" and it doesn't cause me any problem.
Regards
Bob

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone point me to a good newbie friendly setup guide to replicate folders from 1 Napp It server to another?

Reactions: T_Minus

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Depends on the software for replication ex rsync, zfs send/SSH or napp-it replication
For napp-it replication, read http://napp-it.de/doc/downloads/napp-it.pdf
chapter 24.5

basically you have to
- build an appliance group with both server (menu extension > appliance group)
- create a replication job between them with a source and target filesystem
- start the job manually or as planned task (down to every minute to keep them nearly in sync)

Reactions: epicurean

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I think I am not quite ready to purchase the napp it license just yet.
is there a newbie guide to set up rsync from one Napp It Server to another?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
rsync is the same on any Unix or Linux so you will find many guides with Google.

You can
- start rsync as a service (menu services)
- share a ZFS filesystem via rsync (menu ZFS Filesystems)
- use rsync on the other appliance to sync a local folder with the shared one, ex as an "other job"

Reactions: epicurean

Bronko

May 13, 2016
For proof of concept its possible to request an evaluation key, as described.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry, more newbie questions
What would be the CLI command or action to fill it on the other applicance(receiving server)?

Can I just rsync a specific folder, or i need to do so for the entire NFS share?

Last edited:

rpross3

Feb 16, 2016
I think what you're looking for to keep file systems in sync is zfs send and recv. Rsync works well for files and folders.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk