OmniOS CE: two simple issues...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hi, new to OmniOS CE, have tried the old OmniOS/Napp-IT for a spell just to see how it works a year or two ago, but now am using it regularly in a VM for all my ZFS storage and NFS and SMB shares - I love that '# zfs set sharexxx=on pool/dataset' actually works!

It's been difficult to get adjusted to a Solarish system though. Two things really irk me.

1) Where's the scroll back buffer for the console? I mean, I can use | more - but FreeBSD (which I also use regularly) has scroll-lock to enable the scroll back buffer, and Linux has shift-pgup. Google has not helped me figure out how to do it in OmniOS - what gives?

2) I am having an issue with dladm/ipadm and vmxnet3. I followed this guide GeneralAdministration to set up my NICs and IPs -- I notice that the syntax for OmniOS and Solaris for dladm are different, which makes troubleshooting difficult as there are very few resources for OmniOS compared to Solaris.

I've installed vmwaretools 10.3.20 for the vmxnet3 driver and I have an internal-only vNIC that communicates using vmxnet3 just fine, and has been stable, but the one I used for a vNIC with a physical NIC took a crap on me, and now when I run
Code:
# ipadm enable-addr vmxnet3s0/v4
I get:

Code:
ipadm: persistent operation not supported for enable-addr
Any ideas?

Running OmniOS CE with Napp-It installed manually in an ESXi 6.7 VM. Current uname -a:
Code:
SunOS napp-it01 5.11 omnios-r151026-d9b45886bd i86pc i386 i86pc illumos

asche

Oct 6, 2017
1) Where's the scroll back buffer for the console?
Scroll back works for me if I log in via SSH (Windows -> Putty / Kitty), as in the Linux fashion of shift+PageUp. Not sure about the native console.

Code:
# ipadm enable-addr vmxnet3s0/v4
I don't think you need to use "enable-addr" at all. -- That being said, I had issues with using several NICs in OmniOS (see an earlier post) - are you using only static IPs (should work) or also DHCP (gave me issues)? Routing set up correctly?

Last edited:
Reactions: AveryFreeman

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
1. You will find some hints how to change behaviour on Solaris when you google for Solaris console buffer but indeed my personal workaround is also using Putty. Much more comfort and the option to copy/paste console commands with a mouse right-click.

2. Illumos (with OI, OmniOS, SmartOS,..) are forked from an early Solaris Express 11. Since then development is independent between both. Most current Solaris docs are "good enough" for Illumos and much better than anything else.A good source for Illumos based systems are also the wikis from OpenIndiana Documentation – openindiana and SmartOS Home - SmartOS Documentation - SmartOS Wiki

For networking, Oracle switched the command ipadm create/delete-if to ipadm create/delete-ip (very annoying) but beside a current Oracle manual is quite ok. If you want the exact syntax, call man ipadm at console.

A very good source for OmniOS are the Oracle manuals for Solaris Express 11 or Solaris 11.1/11.2. The are quire accurate for OmniOS. You find them with Google or at napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Manual together with other manuals.

If you set network in napp-it (menu System > Network Eth) I care about most of the differences. (My focus with napp-it is on OmniOS but I care about Solaris).

Manual Network setup in OmniOS,
see napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : OmniOS

Last edited:
Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Thank you, I really appreciate both your replies - I'm off to work, but when I get home I will have a detailed look at the networking situation to see if I can't get my physical vmxnet3 NIC to work again.

BTW - yeah, I'm only talking about the console, sometimes I have to use it directly if I can't SSH into the VM (vSphere 6.7 + Workstation 14)

Have either of you tried Git Bash? It's a lot more like opening a terminal window in Windows, rather than having to fuss with all the settings in Putty before logging into the SSH server. It also extends Windows CMD functionality to include commands like ls, cp, etc. I use it to nano text files in Windows all the time since I'm so used to it from using Linux. Also commands like scp and openssh functionality are really convenient. Definitely worth checking out.

What is Git Bash for Windows anyway?