OmniOS 151022 long term stable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
About OmniOS

OmniOS feels now like an airplane where captain and crew jumped off from now to then. Only passengers left, first class ones and others who where lucky to win a free trip with free lunch and drinks but now no one in sight willing or more propably capable to replace captain and crew and staff to run the airplane as a commercial project.

I have thought a while what to do but it is now clear to me and napp-it that I revert to OpenIndiana as default free napp-it platform. OpenIndiana was already my default years ago when Oracle closed the door and OpenIndiana 151a was more or less the OpenSolaris fork with a lot of old Sun code what slows development and hinders a stable minimal server platform. At that time OmniOS was first thought to be build ontop of OpenIndiana but due its deep interaction with the desktop version the idea of a new minimal free Solaris fork was born at Illumos and for OmniOS. This makes Illumos with OmniOS as a minimal server distribution a more favourable platform for a ZFS server than OpenIndiana.

This is history. OpenIndiana stopped further development of OpenIndiana 151a and switched to pure Illumos under the name OpenIndiana Hipster with a quite large software repository. They are now offering a Illumos distribution as a minimal, a textedition (quite identical to OmniOS) and a version with the Mate GUI.

While there are other free Illumos based options like Xstream and SmartOS, both with a commercial background, OpenIndiana as a real community and OpenSource project for a general use server is the way to go for napp-it from now on as the main platform beside Oracle Solaris, the mother of all.

The king is dead, long live the king OpenIndiana. Work together to make this stronger.
Hope to see the OmniOS goodies there in future (LX, LTS support). Thats how I see it.

btw
There is a new napp-it 17.06 free/Pro

Gea
@napp-it.org

Last edited:

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Gea, are you aware if there is an upgrade path from omnios to openindiana ?
Would be simply a change in repo's suffice ?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You must reinstall and import the pool.
For napp-it you can save/restore /var/web-gui/_log

btw.
There is no hurry. At the moment you get quite the same maybe less (if you want LX/Linux zones) or more if you use the GUI edition with Timeslider, local napp-it management via Firefox or VNC.

matol

Jul 2, 2017
For info, for those asking what to use now as storage/NAS/home server, here my opinion/case.

I've been using OmniOS since it was released. Over the years I added some services, mostly basic ones, but compiling sone of them was not straightforward (no pkgsrc initially). For example, I still cannot get Grafana working, since it requires a Go compiler newer than what pkgsrc (Joyent) offers and since it supports poorly SunOS. Influxdb? I ended up compiling it under Windows! (Not possible for Grafana).

I still prefer ZFS + illumos for serving data so I will switch to SmartOS, using a zone for CIFS/kernel: no need to do it in global zone.

I will add some more independent zones for the easily compilable packages, like mail, monitoring, simple servers, but I will use a Ubuntu LX zone for the rest, since packages for it are easily available and regularly updated.

It will need more time in the first setup compared to OI that I would be able to setup in an afternoon, but I think I will save time in the future.
I considered also FreeNAS, but the issue with packages would be similar.

I count on this setup to last at least for the next 5 years, and the easy update of SmartOS, plus the flexibility of LX zones, should allow it.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If I would dream
- Solaris/Illumos based ZFS: best integration into OS with FC/iSCSI, NFS and SMB and virtual networking
- Solaris/Illumos CIFS: best integration of Windows ntfs ACL and previous versions, zero config
- OmniOS/ OpenIndiana: best minimal/general use free ZFS storage server distribution
- SmartOS: best free Ilumos distribution with LX zones/ Docker support and native access to ZFS filesystems but limited global zones options

My dream OS
- OmniOS/OpenIndiana + LX zones + Docker support from SmartOS or
- SmartOS with KVM, LX and native Docker support + capability for a general use server like OmniOS/OpenIndiana

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Last edited:
Reactions: SamDabbers

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
yaye @gea

"## OmniOSce r151022h, 12th July 2017"

Awesome to see release already too :)

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
Very nice! But I can't see a ISO available for a fresh install, do you need to run the old omnios and then upgrade to ce?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OmniOS 151022_ce_h is not a new release, its a maintenance update from a new repository.

I would expect a new iso with 151024_ce, a next stable.
A new iso would mean a new default repository. Maybe this will be offered.

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
Hm Im trying to create a lx zone but there is no guide that don't skip several steps . I'm trying to install ubuntu

where is a image of ubuntu? these doesnt work
Container-native Ubuntu image Container-native Ubuntu image

here are my config so far
Code:
root@omnios:~# zonecfg -z qb0 info
zonename: qb0
zonepath: /zones/qb0
brand: lx
autoboot: true
bootargs:
pool:
limitpriv:
scheduling-class:
ip-type: exclusive
hostid:
fs-allowed:
fs:
        dir: /shared
        special: /tank/zones/shared
        raw not specified
        type: lofs
        options: []
net:
        address not specified
        allowed-address not specified
        defrouter not specified
        global-nic not specified
        mac-addr not specified
        physical: qbadmin0
        vlan-id not specified
net:
        address not specified
        allowed-address not specified
        defrouter not specified
        global-nic not specified
        mac-addr not specified
        physical: qbnet0
        vlan-id not specified
device:
        match: /dev/zvol/dsk/tank/qbvolumes/*
attr:
        name: kernel-version
        type: string
        value: 4.3.0
attr:
        name: resolvers
        type: string
        value: 192.168.1.176
dataset:
        name: tank/qbvolumes

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
I followed this guide
LXZones

and its up and running , although I cuold swear I added ubuntu 16 not 14, ah well . I cant login to the zone with ubuntu/ubuntu or ubuntu with blankpassword. Any Idea what joyent could have added for user and password in this image?

Code:
buntu 16.04.2 LTS ubuntu-14-04-b console

ubuntu-14-04-b login:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Have you entered zlogin zonename for console access in the zone?

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
i tried with -C that didnt work since I didnt know the l:p but just zlogin works fine.

thanx for the help.