OmniOS 151022 long term stable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I'm trying to update now, but I get a certificate error:
Code:
pkg update: The certificate which issued this certificate: /C=US/ST=Maryland/L=Fulton/O=OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc./OU=OmniOS/CN=OmniOS r151022 Release Signing Certificate/emailAddress=omnios-support@omniti.com could not be found. The issuer is: /C=US/ST=Maryland/O=OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc./OU=Managed Services/CN=OmniTI CA Intermediate - OmniOS/emailAddress=ca@omniti.com
The package involved is pkg://omnios/locale/gu@0.5.11,5.11-0.151022:20170510T212820Z
The steps I did:
Code:
beadm create pre-r15102 #backup boot image
/usr/bin/pkg set-publisher -G http://pkg.omniti.com/omnios/r151020/ -g https://pkg.omniti.com/omnios/r151022/ omnios
/usr/bin/pkg update --be-name r151022

And then the error message above.
Any input on this?

Last edited:

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
First update your current running version, that includes updated certificates, then update your version

Reactions: nle

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
He is already running r20 gea, but omnios updated their signing cerificates about a month ago, so he needs to pull those in first

Reactions: nle

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks, looks like that did the trick.

I had problems changing publisher URLs back and ended up booting into my backup BE. Updated current, changed publisher and are currently updating. :)

Reactions: wildchild

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Code:
pkg unset-publisher omnios
pkg set-publisher -P --set-property signature-policy=require-signatures -g http://pkg.omniti.com/omnios/r151022/ omnios
pkg update
reboot

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
Code:
pkg set-publisher -P --set-property signature-policy=require-signatures -g http://pkg.omniti.com/omnios/r151022/ omnios
pkg update
reboot
Code:
pkg update: The certificate which issued this certificate: /C=US/ST=Maryland/L=Fulton/O=OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc./OU=OmniOS/CN=OmniOS r151022 Release Signing Certificate/emailAddress=omnios-support@omniti.com could not be found. The issuer is: /C=US/ST=Maryland/O=OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc./OU=Managed Services/CN=OmniTI CA Intermediate - OmniOS/emailAddress=ca@omniti.com
The package involved is pkg://omnios/locale/gu@0.5.11,5.11-0.151022:20170510T212820Z

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
I needed to do the following:

Code:
pkg update
pkg update
reboot

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
News:

Dan McDonald, the leading software engineer behind OmniOS is heading to Joyent and SmartOS.
Dan McDonald on Twitter

Congrats and a real win for the Illumos platform!

Please Discuss:

We will see what this means to OmniOS as a stable or long term stable free Illumos distribution with support as this is unique and most wanted but I doubt that OmniOS can survive as a second community only based distribution additional to OpenIndiana on the long term.

What I can imagine and hope is that OmniOS is moving to a stable platform based on the OpenIndiana developer snapshots to avoid a doubling of packaging, distribution, tools, wiki, homepage, developers and so on for the basic work of a creating and maintaining a distribution. OpenIndiana is like OmniOS a distribution based on the newest Illumos bit so they are nearly identical. I hope that LX zones find their way to Illumos and OpenIndiana to create the ultimate free Illumos distribution for storage and general use with Mate as a GUI and Linux containers for virtualisation.

Concentrate all community efforts around Illumos is the only way to strengthen the platform and this must be seen as most important. For OmniOS this would allow to concentrate on the real important task to maintain a stable and longterm stable with support, like we have with current OmniOS.

I invite all OmniOS/OI users to contribute to this discussion. There was a funding call for OmniOS showing that many users are willing to pay for a supported Illumos distribution. There are also efforts to create a OmniOS community and structures. This is very promising for a future of OmniOS. The only open point is whether the next OmniOS stable should be based on its own copy of Illumos (the current OmniOS bloody path) or if development of the distribution can be a combined effort with OpenIndiana, using and extending this distribution as a stable and long term stable with support under the OmniOS name and umbrella.

One community backed free Illumos distribution with OI Hipster as development path and OmniOS as its stable/ long term stable and one commercial but free option with SmartOS, yes this is what can and should be the future.

Reactions: wildchild and ekke

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Only sort of a merge between community efforts is thinkable and the two communities can be OI and OmniOS

SmartOS development is exclusively done inside Joyent with no community involved.
So this cannot happen beside the features that are upstreamed to Illumos (hope for LX zones)
But for sure, I hope that SmartOS evolves in a direction that it can be used for general services/ storage even in the global zone. A SmartOS with storage features can really be a killer OS with zones, KVM, LX container and native Docker support and usable as a full featured Solarish based ZFS storage appliance.

The discussion is now
- how to continue OmniOS as a stable/ long term stable Illumos distribution with support option
- Is an OmniOS stable then based on its own development build (OMNIOS bloody) or an add-on feature of OI snapshots that are available every 6 months like we know it from OmniOS.

On the long term, I see only a future for SmartOS due its strong position and one open community distribution with success. Hope one can use both for general use as we need alternatives. The past when OpenSolaris or NexentaCore are ended or now the question with OmniOS should be a warning.

Last edited:

af123

May 18, 2017
OpenIndiana is like OmniOS a distribution based on the newest Illumos bit so they are nearly identical.
I have seen this posted in several places but surely there must be a reason that OmniOS was started as a separate entity. It's a long time since I used OI but the things I like about OmniOS is that it is a minimal server OS which delivers a minimum number of third party components (KYSTY principle), cherry picks patches even before they make it into illumos when appropriate, more consistent, dual instruction set support (x86 and x86-64), etc. etc.

From https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/OmniOSJeOS

We started with an OpenIndiana system that we attempted to reduce, but we found package inter-dependencies caused a large amount of additional software to be installed that we did not want. Changing those dependencies would require rebuilding the affected packages, but (re)building OI packages proved a challenge. Many of the packages we wanted to keep were also quite dated. At any rate, the moment we change a single package we "own" the resulting build in the sense that we are responsible for upkeep. The OmniOS project takes this to its logical conclusion -- create a wholly-customized OS and reduce OI dependencies to zero.
Has OI evolved enough to be a suitable replacement?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Maybe an OI Hipster developer can answer in detail.

As I see it, there was a break with OpenIndiana 151.a9 dev that was based on OpenSolaris.
This development line is dead. The comments from OmniTi are related to this OI line.

Current OpenIndiana Hipster is more or less ongoing Illumos with additions like the Mate GUI, services and some additional apps in the repo. This is why you see the same new things (new loader, USB3) at the same time like on OmniOS. LX/Linux container is different as this was added at OmniTi and not yet upstreamed to the common Illumos development.

Hipster is available as a minimal, a text edition (quite comparable to OmniOS) and a GUI edition with the newest Mate 1.18 desktop, see MATE Desktop Environment

Even the minimal includes ZFS, Crossbow, Comstar iSCSI/FC, NFS and SMB from Illumos and only lacks some basic apps and tools

Last edited:

robert jones

May 18, 2017
Yes, the news is unfortunate. Dan and I will continue to ready r151022 for full release, but there will be no development being done or sponsored by OmniTI after May. In the mean time, we will also try to work with people in the community to make a plan for OmniOS after May.

Since this has happened with short notice, we are still assessing what this will actually mean. As the notice says, however, right now we are making sure that building OmniOS does not directly depend on OmniTI-hosted resources, as those will no longer be available.

/dale
The open source model is resiliant compared with paid vendor offering who are all having difficulties in these reduced economic times. the original business model saw shared development with opportunity to spawn diversified development,business start ups and support worldwide. For this model to work you need a stable common workbench which is refreshed on a continual basis with reference to the general market environment. I am constantly reminded that change and continuing innovation is required to drive forward. The issue of human resource unfortunately is underpinned by capital resource. My opinion outlines a development foundation structure to partner human resource. Many organisations have found success in crowd funding and sponsorship to devlope solution sets which is OmniOS and SmartOs seek to acheive. in building success this should continue until specific business gravity is acheived possibly with hardware. e.g supported server/storage solutions with SME's. To me first is to setup a foundation to which you can donate to purchase packages of work on the market,second build more publicity and brand, third deliver on a united expectation. This is business speak but is straight forward in organising the vision for the future.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Trouble updating (from 20 bloody).
I ran:
Code:
pkg update
pkg update
but am still met with:
Code:
Any ideas on how one can fix this?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
What release are you on?
There is no 120 bloody, bloodies have uneven numbers like 021 so i suppose 021

There are two requirements for this update
- switch from SunSSH to OpenSSL
- up to date certificates as packages are signed, see Upgrade_to_r151022

There are updates specifically out to insure a smooth upgrade to r151022. The ca-bundle package MUST be updated on any release you have, even ones officially EOSLed. Please make sure "pkg update -n" produces no output and that "pkg list -v ca-bundle" shows an April 2017 timestamp. OpenSSH must also replace SunSSH prior to an upgrade. See below for details.
Other option
simply to a pkg update. This will give you 151023 that is currenly the same like 151022
Bloody always has unsigned packages.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Hi Gea, I believe it's the predecessor to r020, the first release to include LX zone support.
Uname shows : SunOS fileserver 5.11 omnios-master-3fd4b56 i86pc i386 i86pc

SunSSH is nowhere to be found, OpenSSH is running and configured and verified using the documentation posted above.
pkg list -v ca-bundle shows a date of 2016/10/06 so that's definitely the problem.
When attempting to update this I'm told there's no updates available for this image.
Most recent boot environment (my fault) is from upgrade to this bloody back in October so I'm a little weary about applying it and reverting and trying again.

Code:
web/ca-bundle                                     5.11-0.151019              i--
Code:
pkg update web/ca-bundle
No updates available for this image.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
So, looking at the package list and searching the OmniOS list, it appears they didn't publish a ca-bundle for r151019 bloody which, it appears, I'm on.
Trying an upgrade to r20 first which, I hope, will allow me to update the ca-bundle and then upgrade to r22.
Wish me luck :)

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Alright, disaster averted. Upgrading to r20 stable then r22 worked as expected.
Thanks Gea for your assistance and to those above who posted their upgrade commands.