OmniOS 151022 long term stable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Bad news for OmniOS users
[OmniOS-discuss] The Future of OmniOS

We will see what this means for the Future of OmniOS
(continuation as an OpenSource project, or move/merge with another Illumos distribution like OI or SmartOS)

The next OmniOS 151022
seem the last OmniOS release

(expected Mai 2017) is available as a public beta.
ReleaseNotes/r151022

For an update from a version prior the current stable 151020 (up from last LTS 151014),
- check Upgrade_to_r151022
- and napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads
- If you use napp-it, you must first update to newest v 17 free, pro or dev (April edition)

You must mainly care about number of BEs (<30) and the switch of SunSSH to OpenSSH in 151018 stable and a current napp-it to avoid problems with the Perl module Expect

Update from a current default stable OmniOS 151020

If you want to update from current stable 151020 setup, you must update napp-it, switch the repository and update. The easiest way is using Putty as root as you can copy/paste commands with a mouse right click
pkg unset-publisher omnios
pkg set-publisher -P --set-property signature-policy=require-signatures -g package repository omnios
pkg update
reboot
As the setup creates a bootenvironment, you can go back to the former OS release when needed.

New features since last long term stable r151014

System features #

- GRUB replaced by Loader
- New Kayak-based ISO/USB installer.
- LX Zones (Linux Container from SmartOS),
see LXZones)
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/zones.pdf
- Python 2.7
- Changes in how linked-image zones behave.
- Perl 5.24.1
- SunSSH replaced with OpenSSH
- Vim 8
- The in-kernel SMB server now supports SMB2
- A new /dev/full soft device. See full(7D)
- SMAP and SMEP use on applicable CPUs
- ASLR now implemented (but must be enabled).
- Improved decoding of NFSv4 packets and RARP filters in snoop(1M)
- Backspace now performs a delete on the cam^H^Honsole
- kstat(1M) now outputs valid JSON with -j
- The c0 controller instance for disks is now reserved for exclusive use by multipath
- The default number of threads for nfsd and lockd has been increased to 1024 and 256 respectively
- mkfs_pcfs(1M) is now aware of GPT-formatted drives
- "Last login" hostnames can now be and display longer (including IPv6 addresses)
- The default /etc/inet/ntp.conf file now syncs to the OmniOS vendor pool on pool.ntp.org. One may turn on - NTP by issuing svcadm enable ntp with no further configuration required
- OmniOS repositories default to TLS use now.

Hardware support #

- USB 3.0 XHCI controller and device support
- Intel I210/I218/I219 1Gb NIC support added to e1000g(7d) and igb(7D)
- Intel X550/X552/X557 10Gb NIC support added to ixgbe(7D)
- Intel X710/XL710/XXV710 10/25/40Gb NIC support added with i40e(7D)
- Solarflare SFC9000 10/40Gb NIC support added with sfxge(7D)
- Chelsio Terminator-5 10/40Gb NIC support added to chxge(7D)
- Broadcom 57xx/577xx 1Gb NIC support added to bge(7D)
- vmxnet3s driver for when operating as a VMWare ESXi guest
-Intel WiFi Link 4965/100/1000/2000/5000/6000 adapter support added with iwn
- Realtek RTL8150 USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- ASIX AX88172/88772 USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- Davicom DM9601 USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- ADMtek AN986/ADM851x USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- NVMe 1.1 device support added with nvme(7D)
- Support for SATA 4K Native drives
- LSI Fury-based adapters (Dell H330) in mpt_sas(7D)
- HP Gen. 9 Smart Array Controller support added to cpqary3(7D)
- SMBIOS 3.1 support
- ACPI-CA 6.0

ZFS improvements #

- ARC now caches compressed data in compressed form
- zpool history records scrub completion
- Large block support
- Resumable and compressed ZFS send and receive
- Reliability improvements to ZFS send and receive
- New checksums for ZFS: SHA-512, Skein, Edon-R
- Many reliability improvements concerning special-case scenarios
- useradd(1M), userdel(1M), and usermod(1M) are now ZFS-aware

Please report remaining problems

napp-it

I have updated napp-it to work with this release (April 2017 edition)
earlier versions of napp-it are not compatible (Tty problem of Perl module Expect)

Problems

OmniOS 151022 stable will not be continued by OmniTi.
If is not yet decided if or when napp-it will move to another default distribution
(propably OI or SmartOS or Oracle Solaris then)

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OmniTi stops commercial support and development after next 151022 stable in may

(continuation as an OpenSource project, or move/merge with another Illumos distribution like OI or SmartOS)

Last edited:

daleg

Oct 21, 2016
Yes, the news is unfortunate. Dan and I will continue to ready r151022 for full release, but there will be no development being done or sponsored by OmniTI after May. In the mean time, we will also try to work with people in the community to make a plan for OmniOS after May.

Since this has happened with short notice, we are still assessing what this will actually mean. As the notice says, however, right now we are making sure that building OmniOS does not directly depend on OmniTI-hosted resources, as those will no longer be available.

/dale

Reactions: gea

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Wow, tough luck/bad news for Illumos based communities (other options but still OmniOS was a strong platform w/in the Illumos community) and FreeNAS of late :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Yes, the news is unfortunate. Dan and I will continue to ready r151022 for full release, but there will be no development being done or sponsored by OmniTI after May. In the mean time, we will also try to work with people in the community to make a plan for OmniOS after May.

Since this has happened with short notice, we are still assessing what this will actually mean. As the notice says, however, right now we are making sure that building OmniOS does not directly depend on OmniTI-hosted resources, as those will no longer be available.

/dale
This is sad.
OmniTi and especially Dan and you have contributed so much to the free Solaris fork Illumos. I wish you the very best for the future. I have no doubt that we will hear from you again in the Illumos world, hopely outside its closed source areas.

I have hope for the future of OmniOS 151022 as I see it as the best free ZFS storage distribution currently with unique features like LX zones and its best of all ZFS integration, stability and performance.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I'm very sorry to hear this, definitely surprising. It's probably a little early to ask, but @gea, do you have another OS you plan to promote as the "preferred" OS for napp-it? Like would the ESXi AIO ova switch to a different OS?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
At the moment OmniOS is the most stable, fast and feature rich free Illlumos distribution if not the best free ZFS storage server OS at all. There will mainly be no newer updates from Illumos in future. For serious bugs I hope that Dan and Dale will help to fix them.

That said, I plan to offer a new ova template with OmniOS 151022 and use OmniOS as default distribution for some time to come, at least for 2017. Afterwards there are already discussions of a merge of OmniOS with OpenIndiana. They are quite identical. OmniOS offered stable editions with support and additions like LX container while OI follows the Opensolaris idea with an additional desktop/GUI edition but without a regular stable. Such a merge would be the best idea as OmniOS and OI are too small for two concurrent Opensource projects. An LTS and a bloody would be enough. A stable every 6 months with a commercial support option like from OmniTi is not achievable without enough paying users, the real problem with OmniOS - the zero cost RedHat pendant for Illumos.

So the options in future beside the commercial Solaris are OI+OmniOS and then SmartOS. OI is already fully supported by napp-it and was the default platform prior OmniOS (and I like the GUI option even for a server).

Lets hope for an upstream of LX/Linux zones to Illumos so it can appear in OI
PostOmniOS/Lobby

Last edited:
Reactions: nle

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I really hope Napp-IT will either have 2 versions if going with Solaris or keep with a free/community driven OS.

Although, after these issues I completely understand why you @gea would want to go with Solaris only, and not have to be put through something like this again.

How much $$ is the cheapest license for Solaris? Is it per-year or one time or license 1 time + support contract? I have never looked into it, but I can't see it being home user friendly :(

What I'd LOVE to see is Napp-IT development in overtime to be usable as management container in Proxmox.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
napp-it currently supports Oracle Solaris and the Illumos distributions OmniOS and OpenIndiana so no need for two versions as napp-it offers special features like ZFS encryption or LX container only on a supported OS.

Oracle Solaris is free for demo and development. For commercial use count around 1k USD per year.

Linux is a nightmare for storage management compared to Solaris especially if you want to support different distributions and releases. The current napp-it that is reduced to options that are offered by ZFS is working quite on any Linux because this part is OS and platform independent.

ZFS management in a container seems quite impossible unless a container has full access to commands like zfs, zpool and physical disks. I suppose not possible in Proxmox as not possible in OmniOS LX containers so a management GUI must run directly on Proxmox. napp-it should be able to run directly on Proxmox but without the features of the Solaris version.

A dedicated SAN VM with pass-through seems possible but this would require iSCSI/NFS access not direct access like Proxmox has to its own Zol implementation or OmniOS has with LX zones.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Gea, if I'm not mistaken, the only real thing missing from napp-it for Linux is samba support (and samba AD). Can these not be added? I understand the boons of Solaris for ZFS but ZOL is almost feature parity at this point if I'm not mistaken.
Would it be that hard to create a gui front-end for samba shares and samba AD sync to Nappit?
Maybe support it on one OS that comes with ZFS in kernel from the get-go like Ubuntu 16+?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I do not use SAMBA but a basic service support menu in Linux should not be the problem with some community help

I have added a Linux services menu in current 17.04dev (a have enabled it as a free update for all)
with the menu action /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/021_Services=lin/20_SAMBA/action.pl
(if someone wants to check the action to create a simple edit option)

Samba support would mean in a simple form edit the config files
This is what the above menu does with smb.conf and an undo option for last 3 edits.
Other edit menus can be added by creating a folder below
/var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/021_Services=lin/

ex "30_other menu" with a menu action file action.pl within
Next step may be some intelligence within a menu or a service reload option.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014

The next OmniOS 151022
seem the last OmniOS release

(expected Mai 2017) is available as a public beta.
ReleaseNotes/r151022

For an update from a version prior the current stable 151020 (up from last LTS 151014),
- check Upgrade_to_r151022
- and napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads
- If you use napp-it, you must first update to newest v 17 free, pro or dev (April edition)

You must mainly care about number of BEs (<30) and the switch of SunSSH to OpenSSH in 151018 stable and a current napp-it to avoid problems with the Perl module Expect

Update from a current default stable OmniOS 151020

If you want to update from current stable 151020 setup, you must update napp-it, switch the repository and update. The easiest way is using Putty as root as you can copy/paste commands with a mouse right click

As the setup creates a bootenvironment, you can go back to the former OS release when needed.

New features since last long term stable r151014

System features #

- GRUB replaced by Loader
- New Kayak-based ISO/USB installer.
- LX Zones (Linux Container from SmartOS),
see LXZones)
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/zones.pdf
- Python 2.7
- Changes in how linked-image zones behave.
- Perl 5.24.1
- SunSSH replaced with OpenSSH
- Vim 8
- The in-kernel SMB server now supports SMB2
- A new /dev/full soft device. See full(7D)
- SMAP and SMEP use on applicable CPUs
- ASLR now implemented (but must be enabled).
- Improved decoding of NFSv4 packets and RARP filters in snoop(1M)
- Backspace now performs a delete on the cam^H^Honsole
- kstat(1M) now outputs valid JSON with -j
- The c0 controller instance for disks is now reserved for exclusive use by multipath
- The default number of threads for nfsd and lockd has been increased to 1024 and 256 respectively
- mkfs_pcfs(1M) is now aware of GPT-formatted drives
- "Last login" hostnames can now be and display longer (including IPv6 addresses)
- The default /etc/inet/ntp.conf file now syncs to the OmniOS vendor pool on pool.ntp.org. One may turn on - NTP by issuing svcadm enable ntp with no further configuration required
- OmniOS repositories default to TLS use now.

Hardware support #

- USB 3.0 XHCI controller and device support
- Intel I210/I218/I219 1Gb NIC support added to e1000g(7d) and igb(7D)
- Intel X550/X552/X557 10Gb NIC support added to ixgbe(7D)
- Intel X710/XL710/XXV710 10/25/40Gb NIC support added with i40e(7D)
- Solarflare SFC9000 10/40Gb NIC support added with sfxge(7D)
- Chelsio Terminator-5 10/40Gb NIC support added to chxge(7D)
- Broadcom 57xx/577xx 1Gb NIC support added to bge(7D)
- vmxnet3s driver for when operating as a VMWare ESXi guest
-Intel WiFi Link 4965/100/1000/2000/5000/6000 adapter support added with iwn
- Realtek RTL8150 USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- ASIX AX88172/88772 USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- Davicom DM9601 USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- ADMtek AN986/ADM851x USB 100Mb ethernet adapters
- NVMe 1.1 device support added with nvme(7D)
- Support for SATA 4K Native drives
- LSI Fury-based adapters (Dell H330) in mpt_sas(7D)
- HP Gen. 9 Smart Array Controller support added to cpqary3(7D)
- SMBIOS 3.1 support
- ACPI-CA 6.0

ZFS improvements #

- ARC now caches compressed data in compressed form
- zpool history records scrub completion
- Large block support
- Resumable and compressed ZFS send and receive
- Reliability improvements to ZFS send and receive
- New checksums for ZFS: SHA-512, Skein, Edon-R
- Many reliability improvements concerning special-case scenarios
- useradd(1M), userdel(1M), and usermod(1M) are now ZFS-aware

Please report remaining problems

napp-it

I have updated napp-it to work with this release (April 2017 edition)
earlier versions of napp-it are not compatible (Tty problem of Perl module Expect)

Problems

OmniOS 151022 stable will not be continued by OmniTi.
If is not yet decided if or when napp-it will move to another default distribution
(propably OI or SmartOS or Oracle Solaris then)
Gea,

i first updated to the latest dev, then performed the system updat, however it seems the pro monitor service isnt'running anymore.
Anything i can do to get that running again ?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Seems that the Perl module Carp is missing on newer systems (only needed for debugging as it shows CGI errors in browser). I have disabled this module. Reload napp-it from today (17.01 free/pro, 17.04dev)

gnordli

Apr 27, 2017
Hi.

I have been using ZFS on solarish now since Nexenta, then OI, and Omnios. My primary configuration is all-in-one servers with VBox and ZFS. It has been a really solid configuration and I can sleep at night knowing my client's data is safe.

Whenever a significant event happens like this, it is time to reflect and see what else is out there. I have always kept an eye ZFS on Linux (ZOL) and it was interesting to see Canonical ship ZFS with 16.04. Also, interesting to see Brendan Gregg's post about linux being a viable option: Sad in a way, but no surprise. I recently summarized my opinions on hackernews[1... | Hacker News.

Projects like Proxmox looks interesting and they have ZFS support.

Other than the iscsi stack, does it really seem like ZOL is becoming a viable option? If it is, then it may be time to take the plunge. I know Ubuntu isn't going anywhere and VBox is tested on Ubuntu.

Geoff

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have initiated a German edu mirror for OmniOS repositories (zip files)
and OI/OmniOS iso/usb setup images at Index of /

and OmniOS 151014,18,20,22 repositories
http://openzfs.hfg-gmuend.de:51014
http://openzfs.hfg-gmuend.de:51018
http://openzfs.hfg-gmuend.de:51020
http://openzfs.hfg-gmuend.de:51022

and a new setup manual
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/setup_napp-it_os.pdf

btw
there are a lot of ongoing discussions about a continuation of OmniOS as a commercially supported solution and/or a merge with OpenIndiana. Another option is SmartOS, another Illumos distribution with perfect Solarish ZFS integration, KVM, zones and docker support but this would require some work as it is a Cloud platform with limited global zone options. Beside that I will stay at Solarish based ZFS solutions from Oracle or Illumos. They just work while Linux is sometimes sort of an adventure game.

Last edited:

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
I agree...
The whole post link you posted to me reads a a sore looser post.
Furthermore his statement isnt correct.
There a lot more companies developping on solarish besides just 15, and they arent small companies, but companies like nexenta, samsung and more.
Just the fact that 1 company seems to lack the financial resourses doesnt mean something is dead.
You can choose from openindiana, tribblix, nexenta,smartos, scxe and more

Reactions: T_Minus