Older Supermicro Chassis: Converting Rear-window to Support 2x2.5 Drive Cages?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
In the Supermicro model number world, the "B" model of their conventional chassis line up means that the chassis has support for their 2 x 2.5" drive cage as seen here:

upload_2017-12-3_11-45-39.png

So, Supermicro 826B, 846B, etc. etc.

These chassis use a shorter rear window (where the I/O and expansion slots are) to accommodate the drive cage (or dummy panel if you don't have the cage).

My question is, has anyone even taken an older more "conventional" chassis like this below (where the rear window is one long piece):

upload_2017-12-3_11-48-43.png

And swapped it out with the newer rear window to allow for installation of the drive cage?

Or is there a gotcha that prevents this?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
The older "A" required some modifications on 2x2.5 carrier to be mounted. Can't search on my mobile but IIRC, @StammesOpfer posted his findings here on the forums sometime ago. Not sure DIY or chassis sections.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: frogtech

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Ah I see, okay, shouldn't be too bad.

Looking at that blog post, it looks like he was actually missing the top bracket for the drive cage. I believe there's a small bar that's secured to the PSU housing and the I/O window which is where the drive cage is actually supposed to be secured to. I suspect if he had it he wouldn't have screwed the cage to the window itself.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Sadly there is a gotcha. The drive cage slides into a little frame on the left side. This is separate from the rear window and is riveted to the PSU cage. I don’t believe there is even a part number for this. There is also a screw inside that holds the back of the cage down, although that’s not critical. You could potentially rig up your own solution, but it would not be simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: frogtech

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
thank you guys :)

I have been looking for this module for months.
could not find proper part number. now I see why.
I have the SM846A case. it has only space for CD drive in the back. but since I modded to use regular ATX PSU I have plenty of space to cut the frame and mount the drive cage there.
no will just hunt up a good deal on the cage and be on my way :)

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
My question is, has anyone even taken an older more "conventional" chassis like this below (where the rear window is one long piece):
I have successfully done this modification with my 826A chassis. The little frame on the left that @Aestr mentioned isn't critical, you can still screw the drive cage to the new rear window and have enough stability that way.

I used the article @K D mentioned as a general guideline. I removed the standoff that stood in the way (see article) with a Dremel, though, as I have no intention to use the chassis with a EE-ATX board. That's actually an error in that article: Even with the drive cage installed, you can still install E-ATX boards just fine. Only the (proprietary) EE-ATX boards that are much rarer won't fit anymore.

Reactions: K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Can you post final pics of the mod?

E-ATX boards will not be affected. I'm using one in a B chassis with the rear drives.

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Sorry for the delay, I was busy and away from home. Here is the picture of the final mod I promised earlier (backside of my "converted" 826A to 826B chassis):

sc826_back.jpg

Reactions: Yarik Dot and K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks. I'll probably attempt this at some point and it's good to have this as a reference.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
well, damn, I just realize that you are using 826, a 2U box, where I have a 846, a 4U box.
my setup is different. hence I need a different part.
however using this thread I have found the part I need for my case :)

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Be careful with that. I actually own a 846A case, too, the SC846A-R1200B to be precise. I thought I could add two additional 2.5" bays at the back of the chassis just like I did with my 826A case. There is a small pre-cut area next to the PSUs (check the linked Supermicro webpage for pictures) that I believed to be compatible to the Supermicro 846 drive cage (part number: MCP-220-84606-0N). But that was not the case and I had to send the drive cage back to the retailer, as it wouldn't fit.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
well, that is exactly the part number I was looking for. by didn't fit, do you mean it was not designed to go in that space?
if so, I understand that. I am hoping I can cut out the case and make it fit.
in my situation, I had modded the heck out of my case already, what one more mod :)

I kind of have 2 options,
option 1. I have a 2 drive setup from microcenter, similar to what bitrot have in the pic. 2 drives one on top of the other that should fit into 3.5 bay. so I can cut out the case to fir that in.
or
option 2. try to get the super micro part where drives are side by side and try to set it up in the existing cut out with only small adjustments on top and bottom.

option 2 would have been an easier as may be much less to cut. but I do not have the part. and to by it would be like $60 or more.
now for option 1 I already have the part, and it was $33 like halve the cost of SM part. but would need much more cutting and and metal work.

I simply can not decide just yet :)

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
Yes, it was not designed to fit there. To me it looks like a slim optical drive could fit, but as I have no use for that, I didn't pursue it any further.

Of course if you're willing to use Dr. Dremel, you could always make it fit somehow. But for that particular 846 case, it wasn't worth the hassle for me.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
well it might worth it for me.
I got the server like 8 years back and have been using it for a while.
I did the most modding as soon as I got it, since it was sooo loud .

I took out the the whole PSU assembly and original PSUs. along with fan wall and all the fans.

stick a regular 80 silver ATX PSU in.
replaced the fan wall with 4x140mm quite fans zipped-tied together
replaced other 80mm fans with quite ones.
and changed the CPU coolers to CollerMaster Hyper 212 with 120mm fans on them.
now the case is quite as a whisper.

but until now I did not have to cut the case at all. I used existing mounts and holes to hook all up.