Older SM Bios -- ANyone have it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Motherboard is a SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F

I get a "Board ID Mismatch" when trying to update BIOS, and when I try to update firmware\ipmi I get an error about installing an older version even though it's not. (I can't boot due to V2 CPU, but IPMI works so I need to update BIOS to boot\use this board.)

I'm on BIOS 2.0 so if anyone has anything between that and the latest I can try I'd appreciate it.

I've already contacted SM but would like to get going on this ASAP.

Thanks!

mrrensing01

Dec 9, 2015
Motherboard is a SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F

I get a "Board ID Mismatch" when trying to update BIOS, and when I try to update firmware\ipmi I get an error about installing an older version even though it's not. (I can't boot due to V2 CPU, but IPMI works so I need to update BIOS to boot\use this board.)

I'm on BIOS 2.0 so if anyone has anything between that and the latest I can try I'd appreciate it.

I've already contacted SM but would like to get going on this ASAP.

Thanks!
Try this one: End User License Agreement

Should be for 3.2 which I think is one step older. Was going to upload here, but exceeded file size. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Out of curiosity, are you updating the BIOS from the IPMI web console?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks!

I just got firwmare (minutes ago) from SM, going to try their firwmare then bios and let you know if that works or if yours did :D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@mrrensing01

Attempted firwmarwe update with SM provided 'older' firwmare = same error

Attempted your BIOS update and same error (Board ID mismatch)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Try this one: End User License Agreement

Should be for 3.2 which I think is one step older. Was going to upload here, but exceeded file size. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Out of curiosity, are you updating the BIOS from the IPMI web console?
Yes, this is via IPMI.

I have V2 CPU installed and can't boot. I'm really trying NOT to have to re-do the CPU\Heatsink to test this RAM I have :/ but it may come to that, or trying antoher SM board.

mrrensing01

Dec 9, 2015
Yes, this is via IPMI.

I have V2 CPU installed and can't boot. I'm really trying NOT to have to re-do the CPU\Heatsink to test this RAM I have :/ but it may come to that, or trying antoher SM board.
What's the board part number FRU reported in the FRU Reading in the IPMI console?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No info? Seems common with their mobos though...

FRU Information
FRU Device ID:
Chassis Info:
Chassis Type:
Chassis Part Number:
Chassis Serial Number:
Board Info:
Language: English
Board Manufacturer: Supermicro
Board Product Name:
Board Serial Num:
Board Part Num:
Product Info:
Language: English
Manufacturer Name:
Product Name:
Product PartNum:
Product Version:
Product SerialNum:
AssetTag:

mrrensing01

Dec 9, 2015
Weird, wonder if the BIOS update via IPMI is checking before it updates...

Any difference if you slap the model number in there? I used IPMIView to update this in the past but didn't have any issues with board mismatches.

I'd give it a whirl on one of mine but I'm holding a crying daughter

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Weird, wonder if the BIOS update via IPMI is checking before it updates...

Any difference if you slap the model number in there? I used IPMIView to update this in the past but didn't have any issues with board mismatches.

I'd give it a whirl on one of mine but I'm holding a crying daughter
Added model # \ manuf like it is on my other SM v1\2 board, no luck.
Assuming this is bricked like one I had years ago :/

I grabbed another SM x9 board and tested 26 DIMMs 1-by-1 out of them 19 worked. My worst EVER RAM good:bad ratio on one purchase, and even comparing all prev. RAM to this, this is worst overall :(

I tried 4x and 8x DIMMs at once though, and it won't even POST :(

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well I got 4x to POST. 8x Wouldn't get past B7 during boot even after I forced mem speed to 1333 instead of "Auto" (which was running at 1333)

I swapped all 8x dimms for much slower 800mhz DIMMS and it still got stuck on B7. These 8x dimms have been working fine for years so I know it's not the memory.

I did a bunch more googling and it seems this is a VERY COMMON problem on X9 boards (something I recall when I had a bunch of them too), people fixing it with spacing the standoff on the motherboard, taking motherboard out of chassis, and other "flex" or "touch" (Ground) related issues that shouldn't exist :/

As this SM board was to simply test my memory I'm going to try to run x8 in my Intel board, which WAS running 7\8 I had in there previously and those 7 tested good in the SM board as singles... so hopefully I can get x8 to run in the Intel board, and then bump that to x16 for what my goal is (512gb).

I'll keep the thread posted as to hopefully help someone in the future :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
16x Working in Intel Motherboard as my goal\intention originally.

Running at 1600mhz too. (1866 originally until I loaded it up with 16 DIMMS).

With x8 Dimms idle in BIOS (high) was 180w.
With x16 Dimms idle in BIOS (high) is 280w.

Will load Proxmox tomorrow and see where we idle in there. I'm expecting around 230w. Now that summer is here I have a free heater :D