Older Omni-OS ova file

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

berrmich

Jun 15, 2016
I'm having to re set up Napp-it all in one due to my primary drive failing. My hardware only works with esxi 5.5. How do I find an older OVA for omniOS? I only see the one for 6.7 which does not work. Thanks!!

-Mike

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Older ova files have old OmniOS releases out of support with unfixed security problems.
You may update but propably it is easier to install manually:

upload a current OmniOS installer iso to Esxi
create a new VM (30 GB, type Solaris 11, boot from installer iso)
add/use a vmxnet3 vnic for best performance

after setup, set nic to dhcp or set nic manually, see napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : OmniOS
reboot, Open-VM tools are already included

run a System > Tuning for best 10G performance on vmxnet3
Install napp-it via wget

berrmich

Jun 15, 2016
Ok that worked well. Installed napp-it and imported my pools.

I was able to add the NFS as a datastore in vSphere. My problem is windows. Windows will not see the share under network. I am able to get to it only by //ip/nfs What am I doing wrong?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I suppose you mean SMB share discovery under network.

For this you need a SMB discovery service. For older SMB this was done with wins. A Windows compatible discovery service is not in Solaris or OmniOS. You can use a Windows server in the network to publish/show all shares under network. For OSX you can enable Bonjour/mdns discovery in menu Services > Bonjour. There is work on Windows to include default mdns discovery.

A workaround is to autoconnect needed shares in Windows with their ip.

berrmich

Jun 15, 2016
It used to work. It would show up as openindiana. I would connect to it with //openindiana/nfs. I was hoping to duplicate that as I have other software pointing to it.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If nfs is a SMB share of a server with name openindiana, connect from Windows as
\\openindiana\nfs

This requires a DNS server to translate openindiana to its ip (or a manual entry in the hosts file),
otherwise use \\ip\nfs

berrmich

Jun 15, 2016
this is probably a stupid question but how do I change the name of the server?

Edit: that seems complicated. So my hostname is: Omnios

When is use \\omnios\nfs It doesn't find anything.
whan I use the \\IP\nfs it works fine.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Change hostname in menu System > Network Eth > hostname

You need a DNS or mdns service that know all servers to use hostname instead ip
or add hosts vs ip manually in the local hosts file or you must use ip.

berrmich

Jun 15, 2016
hmm.. I wonder what I did different before. I set it up long ago so who knows. :) I did have windows server as a VM prior. I haven't imported that back in yet. Maybe that is the difference? Thank you so much for helping, I appreciate your work much.