ok... damdest thing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
ok so I updated esxi from 6 to 6.7 as folks were saying that their 1366 boards/cpus seemed to do fine

ok I was up and running and then the strangest thing..

any time I try and hit napp-it from outside the box with a file transfer .. the network connection to the box would drop... at first I thought that the server crashed but it was up and running just could not talk to it

hum... so I SMB into a running OSX VM and hit it with some file load.. no issues... hit a napp-it SMB share with a file load.. bam.. network down... and I had to UNPLUG the SWITCH that the esxi box was plugged into from power to restore connection.. huh.. damdest thing I have ever seen

downdraded back to 6.0 .. everything was fine.. huh.. lets try 6.5... same deal... everything worked fine but the minute I tried to SMB into a napp-it share and hit it with load.. bam.. network down .. had to power cycle the switch.. .

so obviously back on 6.0 as this intel s5520 l5640 box evidently has a massive issue above 6.0

and napp-it was using 1000e for the primary link just like the osx vm.. really weird but omnios must be using some cpu call to offload something but why freeze at the switch...

huh..

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ESXi 6.7 definitely does not support 1366 CPUs.
With this board stay with ESXi 6.0 and use the Windows Vsphere client to manage as the Web-client in 6.0 is not very stable.

You can either use my OmniOS 151024/26 ova template or do a base setup of OmniOS 151028 (+ pkg install open-vm-tools + install napp-it via the online wget installer: wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl)

(I have replaced all my older systems with newer ones prior migration to ESXi 6.7)

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
ESXi 6.7 definitely does not support 1366 CPUs.
With this board stay with ESXi 6.0 and use the Windows Vsphere client to manage as the Web-client in 6.0 is not very stable.

You can either use my OmniOS 151024/26 ova template or do a base setup of OmniOS 151028 (+ pkg install open-vm-tools + install napp-it via the online wget installer: wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl)

(I have replaced all my older systems with newer ones prior migration to ESXi 6.7)

yes definitely staying on 6.0U3 latest is what I am on now. vcenter 6.7 seems to work ok on the all-in one

still really strange that I had to power cycle the external switch to regain connectivity to both esxi, or anything else in that box when trying to hit napp-it from outside the box. once reset, I could load up other SMB hits to other VMs.. just never seen a VM or any computer for that mater jam up a switch ..

really weird

I am on a fully pkg updated 151022 and performance seems better than before. Gave napp-it 10GB ram and currently all drives are either SATA controller passthrough or lsi92xx passthrough. I can get full saturation of gige from an external mac to napp-it smb2.1 at over 100MBs without the sawtooth and slower ~70MBs I had before. So likely staying here as I don't use any of the really new features by the look of it.. might try going from napp-it 18.01 to 18.12 or whatever the latest is on 151022 but likely not going to upgrade much from here.. again this older hardware seems to prefer the older releases of everything