Oh wow...SuperMicro IPMI and Mouse...I'm not the only one am I?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I got my X8DTH-6F in today, excited to use the IPMI remote console interface...but little did I know...

...that the virtual mouse was comPLETE and absolute garbage.

Is this a common thing with SuperMicro IPMI? Anyone else experienced this? It's super laggy and takes 5 years for the mouse cursor to update to where you moved the mouse to. I've tried all the different modes and can't even begin to tell you what calibration does.

I've read that the ActiveX version was better but I can't find out how to enable it...launching the console in IE also downloads a Java web viewer filer (jnlp).

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I only use IPMI mainly for keyboard input. I suggest a VNC or related for a more mouse friendly control.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I only use IPMI mainly for keyboard input. I suggest a VNC or related for a more mouse friendly control.
I likely won't be using IPMI to interface with the actual OS, as I really like IPMI for remote power management features and to view the BIOS/POST without being at the rack. Is any of that stuff possible with VNC? Otherwise I just use remote desktop once the OS starts.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you using absolute or relative mode? Also - use IPMIview.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Are you using absolute or relative mode? Also - use IPMIview.
I've tried both modes, absolute and relative are both pretty bad. Absolute is a bit better than relative mode. I checked out IPMIview, it's a little more manageable, but still not that great.

Last edited:

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
The keyboard doesn't really work well when I'm not in windows...wonder why...like I press a key and then 30 seconds later the console responds. I know it's not frozen because in the BIOS I see the colon in the time ticking every second normally.

edit; It seems to work "okay" if I hit a key and wait 10-20 seconds, then the rest of the keys after seem to be normal.

At any rate, I was able to update the BMC and BIOS remotely without having to go out into the garage, so in the end it was all worth it I guess lol.

Last edited:

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
My experience with the X8 series of motherboards hasn't always been positive in relation to the IPMI. We had a system that would lock up within an hour of a cable being plugged into the IPMI port. Another system would act as though the keyboard had a key held down randomly if you used the IPMI. Even if you disconnected and used a crash cart! Our X9 and X10 motherboards never experienced this issue.

My experience, anecdotal though it may be, is that the X8 IPMI is flaky.

Reactions: Dajinn

GCM

Aug 24, 2015
+1 to X8 issues. I've never had issues with X10 at all, and only a handful of times issues with the X9.