Offsite backup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Since crash plan seems to be leaving the home market and in calculating the cost for backing up terabytes worth of data using another service it seems like it might be more worthwhile talk Colo a server.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to Colo a server? Or does somebody recommend a different offsite backup service? At minimum I want to be able to encrypt the data at the Colo which obviously would fall on my end. Ideally I would also have a VPN connection from point-to-point. Thinking the data would just back up to a spare synology I have.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Since crash plan seems to be leaving the home market and in calculating the cost for backing up terabytes worth of data using another service it seems like it might be more worthwhile talk Colo a server.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to Colo a server? Or does somebody recommend a different offsite backup service? At minimum I want to be able to encrypt the data at the Colo which obviously would fall on my end. Ideally I would also have a VPN connection from point-to-point. Thinking the data would just back up to a spare synology I have.
Any preferred location or is it price/reliability based?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I just upgraded to Crashplan Pro and it resulted in the following outcome:
My existing subscription is now a "Pro" subscription at no cost for the remaining period (10 months)
They gave me 12 monhts at 75% off ($30 total)

I have unlimited backup of my Synology to Crashplan Pro for the next 22 months for $30. Will be $120/year after that.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I am on the east coast. Not really but ideally on the east coast. Cost would have to be near equal or less to some other service like crashplan business.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I am on the east coast. Not really but ideally on the east coast. Cost would have to be near equal or less to some other service like crashplan business.
Crashplan is about $10 per month your not going to find any colo for $10.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
That is per device and I have multiple devices so. I may just rock the Pro version until next year that I can figure out the whole multiple backups at multiple sites thing.

Reactions: ELit3

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Agreed with @StammesOpfer. This is how I deal with the crashplan limitation. Since I don't have that much data on my non-NAS devices it doesn't chew up that much space and gives me a much more convenient local restore option.