Offsite backup - cloud, tape, server, whats your deal?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
So, recently got around to starting my backup of my unraid setup into amazon cloud drive.

Got me wondering what people are doing to backup their big storage projects?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Datacenter to datacenter zfs send-receive. Super easy.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Got me wondering what people are doing to backup their big storage projects?
Nightly replication to a server in the same rack + nightly replication to an offsite server 5 blocks away, but on a different electrical substation + monthly LTO6 backups to a different offsite location in another state. I go into it in a bit more detail here.

Reactions: maze

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I'm a little crazy with my backups haha. I have WS2012R2E running that backups all my windows clients daily. I have my files also stored on that server on a 6TB Red HDD. That HDD is backup nightly by WS onto another 6TB Red HDD. I then sync my 6TB data drive to an external USB drive quarterly, the usb drive is only on when i sync. And finally I nightly sync (about 400GB) of important data to amazon cloud using Syncovery application that zips, encrypts and renames all my files so amazon cant tell whats on there:)
So this is what it looks like on amazon.
upload_2017-5-5_10-46-23.png

Reactions: cliffr

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Nightly replication to a server in the same rack + nightly replication to an offsite server 5 blocks away, but on a different electrical substation + monthly LTO6 backups to a different offsite location in another state. I go into it in a bit more detail here.
Serious backup routine, must say thats doing things properly

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
CrashPlan and Backblaze. I'd like to ditch HDD cold storage and keep everything on tape + somehow do a cloud backup of the tape, but the "unlimited" pricing of CrashPlan and Backblaze is just too good right now.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I just keep a replica on a different system and make regular backups to USB disks of critical dataset (i.e. Not TV downloads).
That's for home anyway.

Work well that's serious setups :)

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Daily rsync mirrors of key data to main data center + rotating mirror target to data centers across in US & Canada for time + geography variants.
I also clone family & friend's dektops / laptops a few times a year when I visit and swap USB drives around so everyone has a cold offsite clones of their system at another house.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
well... was using amazon cloud unlimited and putting everything on there encrypted but they have just banned rclone and 3rd party tools. Have 35Tb or so

Now i'm looking for a google drive unlimited $10 a month account. However it is technically not unlimited unless you have 5 users (they are not enforcing it yet). Do any of you have openings with 5 or more people on it?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
And now ACD removed the unlimited tag.. so there goes that option in general.

Im going the Google Way aswell.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I have 40TB up on ACD, which I will leave there until my subscription expires.

I just set up GSuite Business on one of my spare domains.