Office Chair

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
Been shopping the market for a new office chair and figure a lot of you sit a fair amount in an office chair all day. Im not looking for office depot knock off cheap 99$ nor am I looking for Herman Miller $1k expensive. But something nice a lot of the reviews for long computer use focus on gaming chairs which I am fine if they are nice but the style of them like the racerdx chairs are pretty vibrant more then I would want in my home office. Anyone here have recommendations.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
You might be able to score some Herman Miller spendy ones at used office furniture places if any are nearby.
We picked up a bunch of the Aeron's from a company that was folding for a few 100 each, and they are worth it if they are in good shape, the hydros work and are the right size (if you feel the lip at the top back of the chair, there are 1/2/3 dots for small/med/large or something similar as I recall). They are noticeable diff in height & width if you sit in each and compare.

Before that I had a knock-off from Office Depot that lasted fine for about 6 years, only issue is one day the backrest webbing started to tear out of the frame a little. It was > the 5yr warranty so I just moved it down to the test bench where I don't sit in it as long or am moving around more anyway.

Reactions: Patriot

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I am a fan of Haworth chairs (similar class to Aerons). If you buy new, you can customize everything from fabrics to wheels. I have the Zody.

Haworth Desk Chairs

I was lucky enough to get discounts through the local reseller. I called and told them where I worked (University) and asked for same deals for personal use. Many shops will give you discounts if you just ask.

The other idea of used office furniture is also excellent and I would do that as well.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Those Haworth ones look nice - I will have to see if somewhere had them local to check out. Another consideration is that for me, the mesh back & seat is quite nice to help keep cool vs. more solid fabrics. They don't seem as durable overall (eventually start to stretch or get a tear), but not being hot is worth it in my experience.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah I like the Zody since it is a mesh back and fabric seat. The armrests have amazing adjustments and there is a task mode to incline forward. Really nice chairs. :)

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I use an Ergohuman V2 (mesh) myself, more comfortable than the aerons in my opinion. Should be $6-700 stateside.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Using a Hon Nucleus currently, mesh backing with the seat being elevated (ie no hard bottoming out). Pretty readily available in retail and online, pricing was under $550....though some build combinations are available under $500 and over $800...all depends on taste.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I scored an Aeron chair for myself at a good deal. Was at the office-furniture store that my employer buys from, and they had some damaged chairs in the back that they were trying to get rid of. One happened to be an Aeron that squeeked when you rocked so they couldn't sell it - $300 cash deal and it was in my car. And the real bonus was that in less than a week the squeek went away by itself. That chair is almost 10 years old now and still going strong, was a good investment.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I am a steelcase man myself... Then again there is a local used shop that I can get them for under $100. :)
If you are in the houston area... make the trip up to conroe.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
A few years ago I needed a good office chair, but didn't want to spend too much. I spent $400 on a chair from office depot, and was happy with it until I realized it was causing me lower back and knee pain. So I got another chair from office depot for $450, and I was happy with it until I realized it was causing me lower back and knee pain, which was beside the fact that the casters broke and I couldn't find a replacement of the same height, which made the chair even lower and caused me more lower back and knee pain.

I finally got myself a Herman Miller, and guess what? No more lower back and knee pain. If I had just bought the damn Aeron in the first place I would have saved myself $850. Granted, I am a dense 6'2" 250, so perhaps those chairs would have worked for someone built more like a distance runner than I.

Moral of the story, don't try to save money on office chairs. I am a firm believer in spending on a good chair and a good monitor. You sit in the chair and look at the monitor all day. Look for savings elsewhere.

Reactions: cheezehead

spyrule

Just do what I did... took an old Subaru STI seat, cut the bottom rails flat, mounted that to a metal plate, and mount that to a used/broken chair bottom (the mechanical part, not the seat itself). Works great, super comfortable, and cost me a total of about $100 (the seats can be had for ~$100-150). I happen to have the seats from when I sold my Subaru. But look at a JDM shop for used seats that I cheap. The most expensive thing to actually buy besides the seat is that I used T6061 1/4" Aluminum plate as my base plate (I wanted strong and light).

dslv

Nov 13, 2015
I agree, a good office chair is essential if you spend any amount of time at a desk. My standard office chair is a Herman Miller and they are amazing but way out of my price range for home, so I picked up a "Markus" office chair in Ikea. Very comfortable and the high back support is great if you're clocking up the hours. I have mine about 2 years now and love it, no visible signs of wear and tear either. See link below.

MARKUS Swivel chair - Glose black - IKEA

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Just do what I did... took an old Subaru STI seat, cut the bottom rails flat, mounted that to a metal plate, and mount that to a used/broken chair bottom (the mechanical part, not the seat itself). Works great, super comfortable, and cost me a total of about $100 (the seats can be had for ~$100-150). I happen to have the seats from when I sold my Subaru. But look at a JDM shop for used seats that I cheap. The most expensive thing to actually buy besides the seat is that I used T6061 1/4" Aluminum plate as my base plate (I wanted strong and light).

I think there's something missing from that chair?

Just in case your tempted to reach for your wallet in a hurry when browsing the trade forum :p

Reactions: spyrule

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm still rocking a Steelcase Leap V1 in one office, it's worn out pretty much, and my Steelcase Leap V2 in my main office chair and is ready to get sold as used, and I'm ready for a new one again. At <150lbs I don't really "wear out" chairs, but the padding does eventually (years and years) go out sitting so much in one spot and my tiny bony ass can only take so much... :eek: :eek:

That escalated quickly. :oops:

I'll be looking at another steelcase leap, I LOVE the seemingly endless combinations of arm rest configurations

The chair itself still looks brand new, the arms aren't worn looking, nothing broke, etc, these chairs are TANKS.

V1 I think was ~$800 on clearance w/shipping and steel base
V2 I think was ~$700 on clearance (ebay) w/shipping and plastic base.

I don't think a plastic or steel base make a difference other than looks for anyone wondering.

The nice thing ordering new is all the configuration options you can pick :)

Moothusala

Oct 21, 2015
Middle of Nowhere, Oklahoma
I'm going to offer some odd advice here. I subscribe to the idea that if you're going to use it for more than an hour a day, everyday, then you should sped every conceivable $$ on whatever it is. However, budgets and reality don't play nice with that. Like most above I have had significant issues after using $250-$600 chairs about turning me into a cripple. At work, I currently use the rattiest crappiest chair I could find (we own a call center so I went picking through the chair graveyard) and it's the best chair I have ever sat in. At 350lbs+ and 10+ hours a day in the office, anything I sit in takes some abuse and this thing is still as good today as it was the day I dug it out of the trash pile 8 years ago.

Trying to say don't discount the ultra-cheapie chairs just because they are cheap. It seems the winners of best chair for me are the ultra expensive chairs, followed strangely by the cheapest, then it goes downhill for the $250-600 "I want to have a good chair so I bought an expensive chair" crowd that don't know better. (Disclaimer: I own an Aeron at home and I'd bring it to work but some rat bastard would steal it if I turned my back)

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@Moothusala funny you mention that view... I have a 10 year old (min.) chair I got from a big-box "Office" store back in the day ~$90 that still looks 'brand new', and works as good as if it were new, my wife uses it on occasion (she rarely is "at her desk").

Ever since I went to adjustable arms on the steelcase leap + quality keyboard tray/arm combo my back issues are all but gone.

The only next purchase I have in mind is an electric "standing" desk that I can use in a seated position, and standing and rotate as needed.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Last time I actually saw one in the flesh was when I fitted a couple into an old Mk1 XR2 for a mate that was doing rally stages. At the time the harnesses cost more than his Yokohama Tyres :D

Status
Not open for further replies.