Office cabinet recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Hi,

my current goal is to move all spare hardware, which now lays on floor, to cabinets in our office. We talk about 50U of equipment that we need to host in something, so I am looking for something like 2x ~30U cabinets. Generally I don't want anything higher as we have small office without any technical room, so it will be between our desks. 42U cabinets would break the room.

There is no need to have it closed or sound proof as it is going to be primarly our hardware storage, before servers go to the datacenter. But we sometimes want to run some servers in order to test them (e.g. memtest over night).

I did some research on ebay and this is almost I am look for:

32U 4 Post Open Frame 19" Network Server Rack Cabinet Adjustable Depth. CDM | eBay

What I like about it is:
- open frame (it is not heavy by itself)
- adjustable depth (I love this)
- strong enough to handle full 1U 1CPU servers

However, what I have problem with (and reason I haven't ordered it yet) is the fact that there are 2 mounting holes on each side. One is on the inner side and the second one is outside:

upload_2018-1-21_14-25-19.png

That would cause us problem with 2U and 4U servers using these rails: http://store.supermicro.com/media/c...08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/c/mcp-290-00053-on_1.jpg

If you have any recommendation of a cabinet, I would love to hear experience from you.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Not sure where you are located and the urgency level. Local Craigslist, e-cyclers, etc may be an option.

The half racks are not that common so you will have to wait.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
I have this one and it is great for 4 post mounting. Just know that the metal is a little thin so you need to be careful how much weight you put on it if you are mounting anything on just 2 posts.
Thanks for the positive reference. We are going to use it only for full depth servers with 4 post rails.