odd mainboard id on vmware boot screen

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Oct 3, 2017
I'm building a 4 node vmware cluster using supermicro x9scm-f mainboards. I've setup 2 nodes so far without any issues. This third node seems to have a strange mainboard id on the vmware boot screen. Did anyone ever see this before ? What could this be ?

2018-03-14 11.03.59.jpg

I've double checked all bios settings the other nodes and there seems to be no difference. Also the're running the same latest bios and ipmi firmware. I've already flashed the bios again and did a bios reset on the mainboard but the id came up as before.

Is there any way of a special reset procedure for this mainboard the manual doesn't show me ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I have seen corrupted text in the bios, I did a search now but my Google fu is bad today but there has certainly been a thread here about it , it’s not an ESX if it’s the same issue. The issue becomes ESX and how it identifies what it runs on and what drivers it should load and behave etc.

Oct 3, 2017
It seems that the installation of esxi6.5 does end in an error while esxi6.0 does not.
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 16.27.00.png

The esx 6.5 installation reads asset tags from the supermicro and (in my case) gets stuck reading rubbish and fails in the end.
I saw one occasion of a Huawei server changing asset tags in the BMC to solve this. But what should I do in this case. The only thing I can change in the IPMI is the network name. My only hope now is IPMIFG.EXE ... lets see what this does.

Oct 3, 2017
Update : IPMICFG was able to read and write FRU settings. Altough i did not see anything strange in these settings i wrote new settings to all strings in de IMPI just to be sure. This did not help. After that I used the setting to erase BMC and FRU data. It seems hard to beat this problem...

anyone else that has been in these areas ?

Oct 3, 2017
I opened a case with supermicro support and within 2 days I was able to reset corrupt DMI values with the AMIDEDOS.EXE tool. I am able to rejoin the esx host to the cluster now. thumbs up for Supermicro !