OCZ Vertex 2 - One of the worst products that I have purchased...ever

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ubiquityman

Mar 18, 2011
I spend (wasted) about 20 hours over the past 2-3 days trying to get a Vertex 2 installed on my X38 machine. What a terrible product, stay away from OCZ!

1. When I received the drive (OCZSSD3-2VTX120G, 120gb, 32nm, 3.5") , it had firmware 1.27 on it. The drive had a smart error upon cold boot and had problems with resume/standby (would sometimes crash).

2. I then updated the firmware to 1.33. That of course messed up the drive so it wouldn't boot. OCZ's comment: Erase the drive and reinstall Windows. Luckily, I ghosted the partition before I started so I could just restore the partition.

3. After the partition was restored, the my machine would not boot from a cold start. After about 3-4 resets, the machine would boot. Once it booted, then no problems. I could subsequently boot after that... 20 reboots and no problems. However, if I powered down the computer and powered back up, same "NTLDR Missing" issue whenever the computer was booted cold. OCZ's comment: Reinstall Windows.

The good news is that I didn't wait too long on the phone for tech support, but the tech support was not terribly useful nor insightful. They have serious problems with their firmware.

I have 7 other SSDs (4 are SLC, 3 are MLC) at home, and have not had issues at all with any those. I'm staying away from OCZ from now on. What a horrible experience. On top of that, I purchased from Newegg and it's listed as "not returnable". Complete garbage. I'll have to call and speak to a CSR tomorrow about returning this piece of crap.