NZXT S340 v. S340 Elite - 2 Builds in a Week - Impressions on Differences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I built one of the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 systems in a NZXT S340 last week. Black with blue accents, of course.

Today I built another AMD Ryzen 7 1700 system in the NZXT S340 Elite, Black with blue accents as well. After having done both, I wanted to provide a few insights into the differences.

First off, if I had the chance to go back two weeks, I would have purchased both Elite versions.

NZXT S340 v. NZXT S340 Elite
What are we talking about here:
The purchase price difference is $30 on Amazon and $20 at my local computer shop.

Exterior Differences
The main difference is that the side of the NZXT S340 Elite is tempered glass. On the non-elite S340 it seems to be plastic. Since the glass covers Elite's entire side panel there are two implications. First, you can easily get fingerprint smudges. Second, there are four screws on the face of the chassis, not two at the rear.

If you are going to stack them next to one another, or atop one another, the non-elite is superior.

The front of the NZXT S340 vanilla has blue accent on the top/ interior. The Elite does not. I tried swapping them but surprisingly enough, the blues are different! (Seriously)

Both have feet that stand higher than you may otherwise think. That gives room for airflow to the PSU and to the front fans. Overall, this is a plus.

The top of the Elite is much more involved. It has a HDMI port (cable can pass through the chassis to the front/ top of the case). It also has two USB 2.0 ports in addition to the two USB 3.0 ports on the non-Elite model.

There is a VR puck which is basically something to wind cables around. I do not see using this for VR at least for now.

Interior Differences
The Elite is hands-down better than the non-Elite from an interior perspective, but they are minor things.

Visually - the interiors are fairly similar except the blue accent runs to the entire bottom section where the SSDs attach. That is to show off via the large glass side.

Cable lengths - on the NZXT S340 the front panel audio barely made it to the motherboard's bottom corner position. On the Elite with the same motherboard, no issues.

Interior (rear) tie downs - this was the big one to me. Instead of giving you zip ties and saying "have at it" the Elite has little latching cable management rings. The non-Elite is still easy to work with and the cable management is likely why the case is so popular.

Storage - this is the big one. The NZXT S340 Elite has three 2.5" SSD mounting points instead of two on the non-elite. One is strangely placed at the front of the case. I assume it is to "show off" a SSD. For me, I put the NVMe U.2 drives in the top spots so they would get more airflow and the Samsung 960GB on the front/ bottom spot.

There are 2+1 internal 3.5" bays. They are tough to service. Just put your 3.5" drives in a NAS. What I did find this useful for is to hold extra PSU cables that are not being used.

The Perspective
$30 is a LOT when it comes to a very low end build. On a higher-end build, it is dwarfed by other costs. One of the most surprising facets is that both cases come with non-PWM fans that are attached via Y cable to a Molex 4-pin pass-through.

In the one that I will be using as a workstation, I ended up buying two 140mm fans for the front, a 140mm fan for the top, and a 120mm fan for the rear. Those four fans cost more than the NZXT S340 Elite.

Overall, I liked the non-Elite version enough to buy the Elite version which will be my next workstation case. Given $1000+ price tags for these systems, adding $30 for the Elite version is worth it if you are OK with the glass size and the implications thereof.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@zer0sum I love it. Did you have to remove the cable management bar and tap standoffs when using an EATX motherboard?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
@zer0sum I love it. Did you have to remove the cable management bar and tap standoffs when using an EATX motherboard?
The cable management would of run to the right where those 2 fans are, and as you can see it had to go.
I used a SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F and only 3 of the standoffs were in the right spot, but it's really easy to drill a few holes for new ones!
Now I have an incredibly compact powerhouse :)

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
@zer0sum I use a Supermicro SC732. It has proper standoffs which is nice. Also very compact.
I never realized they were that close in size...good to know for future builds, but it's definitely not as sharp looking as the S340 :)
Hows the cable management? It's only a touch thinner so I was wondering if there's much space behind the motherboard?

SC732
H - 16.7"
W - 7.6"
D - 20.68"
28lbs

S340
H - 17"
W - 8"
D - 18.66"
15.5lbs

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Cable management is better in the S340. The SC732, on the other hand has internal 3.5" bays and 2x 5.25" bays so I managed to get 16x hot swap SSDs in it.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I've also built systems in both cases and absolutely love both of them, but the Elite is the case to get, certainly, unless you're on a budget...but both cases are fairly reasonable for what you get.

Both cases 2.5" top shelf drive bases are a bit challenging and the cable snaps are cheap, but other than that I have no complaints

What I don't like is the cost of all the accessories...I find them on the high side, the Kraken H2O Coolers are much higher than Corsairs, the RGB Fans and Hue+ is pretty expensive, however all those put together make a great system with great visual appeal and the CAM software is phenomenal. I think if they just lowered their costs a bit on to be competitive with Corsair, then if I were building a PC today, I would go with the whole kit.

Reactions: Patrick

haldun

May 1, 2020
Great post @zer0sum. I am also looking for options to convert 2U Rack Supermicro into a Tower ATX. Actually, my mobo is Supermicro X9DRL which is ATX. I believe I can easily fit this board into S340 or Phanteks Entoo Pro easily.

Actually my biggest problem is noise. Rack servers are very noisy to keep in the office. What are the case fans you used in that build? Did you have any heat problem? Is the noise level acceptable?

Thanks in advance.