Nytro 5000 1.92Tb XP1920LE30002 $199.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Reactions: Marsh and Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I've been on the fence with this one for about a week now. Price per TB is certainly good. I've also found them available via the Newegg marketplace from the same vendor for the same price, and from what looks like the vendor's website for a bit less, also with free shipping (I've never bought from them though so wouldn't want to say for sure on the website) Seagate Nytro 5000 XP1920LE30002 1.92TB PCIe Gen3.0 x4 4GB/s M.2 Read Intensive Solid State Drive

My only concern is Seagate's warnings about heat in the product specs. Seagate specifies 830+ LFM cooling over the surface when used without a heatsink installed. https://www.seagate.com/www-content..._shared/docs/nytro-5000-mp2-pm-100810195d.pdf For a 40mm fan, that's 43 CFM, so I think these definitely need a heatsink and some decent airflow.

I don't know a lot about NVMe drives. Does anyone know which component(s) actually need cooling? I've found that the selection of 110mm heatsinks is pretty poor. But, if its just the flash chips OR the controller, I suppose a more standard 80mm heatsink would do as well?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Got 4, testing them rn. These PLP caps are hot.
Definitely need heatsinks then, at least for my setup. I suppose a 3rd party heatsink for an Optane 905P would work? Those Optanes are 110mm and get hot, and I've seen heatsinks for those.

I'm seeing some no-name ones on Amazon too, but they mostly all have a backplate. I'd need to put it in a PCIe adapter though, as you've done, so I think I need something that fastens from the top only?

Last edited:

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Seems that some of the disks are not working. they are visible in crystaldiskinfo, SMART looks ok, but writing on it in windows or linux gives an I/O error. On the outside, the disk looks pristine, power on hours: 1.

Will check further, could be a problem with nvme/pcie controller on my motherboard(?) or dead disks.

Will try to get a replacement through newegg, if some disks are dead.

Last edited:

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Seems that some of the disks are not working. they are visible in crystaldiskinfo, SMART looks ok, but writing on it in windows or linux gives an I/O error.
Are some disks writable and have you swapped out the other disks on that PCIe card to see if its the card itself? I'd be curious if connected directly to the mobo if they all work or if some are actually dead, dead.

blackmesa

Sep 19, 2020
There's only 9 left, so grab them whilst you can.

So I did some measurements and here's what I've found works amazingly well. 80mm heatsink with a 22mm stickey type heatsink for the caps:

Dirt cheap and extremely effective.

Attachments

Reactions: Prof_G

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Not sure if everyone realized, but @blackmesa ’s post above has a link to amazon selling the high endurance version for 179.99.

I got 2.

blackmesa

Sep 19, 2020
Got them up and running in RAID 0 on my Threadripper. Rock solid performance. I have daily backups, as I don't trust the AMD RAID, but damn it's fast, repalced the P4511 NVME 3.84TB drive I had in there, 3x faster!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Not sure if everyone realized, but @blackmesa ’s post above has a link to amazon selling the high endurance version for 179.99.
I recall reading (but can't seem to find the link..sorry) the the High Endurance (1.6TB) and High Performance (1.92TB) are functionally identical. The High Endurance's firmware is set for more overprovisioning (hence lower capacity), and the High Performance is clocked faster (hence more heat). So, in theory at least, the High Endurance model should run cooler and require less heatsink/air flow if that's important to anyones use case.

blackmesa

Sep 19, 2020
I recall reading (but can't seem to find the link..sorry) the the High Endurance (1.6TB) and High Performance (1.92TB) are functionally identical. The High Endurance's firmware is set for more overprovisioning (hence lower capacity), and the High Performance is clocked faster (hence more heat). So, in theory at least, the High Endurance model should run cooler and require less heatsink/air flow if that's important to anyones use case.
It gets really hot, even with the heatsink. I wouldn't run it without one, even with extreme airflow. It seems odd that only using an extra 320GB for over provisioning would give it 5x the write endurance though, I would suspect the chip has a much stricter algorithm for writing the data efficiently?

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
It gets really hot, even with the heatsink. I wouldn't run it without one, even with extreme airflow. It seems odd that only using an extra 320GB for over provisioning would give it 5x the write endurance though, I would suspect the chip has a much stricter algorithm for writing the data efficiently?
From the comments above it seems that the 1.6TB variant runs cooler/slower as well so that might be calculated into the endurance estimations

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Amazon link even better now it’s 159.99

Wife’s probably going to take away my internet. I just picked up two from blackmesa’s link.