NYT Article China vs Micron

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
If you're looking to kill a few minutes on a Friday afternoon this was a good one to read

Inside a Heist of American Chip Designs, as China Bids for Tech Power
I'm not a big fan of Micron. Back in the 80's I got a bunch of 16-pin DIP memory chips (64K, IIRC) with a very rough top and Micron's logo, part number, and the mark "USA" with an American flag stamped on the top. Flipping the chips over, the word "Korea" was stamped on the bottom. Now, this may have been an abberation where they needed to source more chips than they could get in the US and imported chips and re-marked them, but it still appeared to be a mis-representation. At the time, Korean DRAM was just getting past a problem where the chips would fail after some time in operation. I was told that the issue was un-controlled humidity in the DIP encapsulation phase of production.

Every time I read an article about "Micron sues <manufacturer X> for dumping", I'd think back to the days when I got those re-marked Korean memory chips. They're never going to get a lot of sympathy from me - they made my list of "companies to never deal with again", which also included Matrox and EMC at the time.