NVME SSD Recommendations (home use)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
I am looking for some fairly quick NVME HHHL SSDs in the 1 to 2 TB capacity range. I found a few Intel drives that I wasn't opposed to, however my understanding is when an Intel SSD hits it's rated lifetime writes it bricks itself on reboot. The applications I am running tend to end up being fairly write heavy due to databases not fitting in memory and caching on disk.

1. Do Intel enterprise NVME SSDs such as the P3600/P3605 go read only then brick after hitting their write endurance rating like their consumer drives?
2. Is there a comparable performance option to the P3605 drives available for less or something better for similar prices to the P3605?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I am looking for some fairly quick NVME HHHL SSDs in the 1 to 2 TB capacity range. I found a few Intel drives that I wasn't opposed to, however my understanding is when an Intel SSD hits it's rated lifetime writes it bricks itself on reboot. The applications I am running tend to end up being fairly write heavy due to databases not fitting in memory and caching on disk.

1. Do Intel enterprise NVME SSDs such as the P3600/P3605 go read only then brick after hitting their write endurance rating like their consumer drives?
2. Is there a comparable performance option to the P3605 drives available for less or something better for similar prices to the P3605?
1. Unknown to me.

2. No. P3500 on ebay 2TB is a deal, but less write endurance and write performance.

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
If looking at enterprise grade NVMe from Intel, It would be hard to hit the write limit.

DC p3608 - Endurance Rating (Lifetime Writes) = 8.76 PBW

Intel® SSD DC P3608 Series (1.6TB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0 x8, 20nm, MLC) Product Specifications

I wish that the P3608 was in my budget, unfortunately I would like to do this one for less than $600 per drive.

1. Unknown to me.

2. No. P3500 on ebay 2TB is a deal, but less write endurance and write performance.
I was looking at the P3500, and if I knew that they wouldn't brick themselves at 1PB written I would be all over those. However, I don't know that for sure.