NVME raid speed limited to 3.5gb/s on epyc rome?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Texasserver

Feb 4, 2021
Ok, so long story short, I am trying to figure out if there is any way to increase the single threaded NVME drive speed on epyc?

I am hosting some systems on vast.ai and the speed test they use is a combo of dd and hdparm

I have a raid of nvme 4.0 drives that is capable of 10gb/s sequential reads.

Yet using dd or hdparm the fastest they can read is ~3.5gb/s. It seems to be single thread limitation of epyc rome. Milan can reach around 4.5gb/s.

Does anyone know of a way to increase these speeds? Either in hardware/bios or with different options for those commands (could possibly get the devs to make a simple change to the command).

fio with multiple jobs will read the correct speeds but not sure the devs would want to use multiple jobs as a benchmark.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Seems like I have seen people report dd speeds much higher then 3.5gb on epyc. Even to a ramdrive I am limited to ~3.5gb/s.

Texasserver

Feb 4, 2021
That is the issue 100% but if you notice I do not have control over the tools, I am renting the system on vast.ai and these are the tools they use, I have no control over it sadly.

Although the devs did come out and say they know the old tests are flawed and will look into updating them, who knows when that could be though.