NVME PM963 2.5" 960GB $300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Hi Craig!! so the " root@:~#nvme list " and all that stuff didn´t worked? im living a nightmare here!! i bought one that had the ERROR and i fight with the seller to change it, i get a new one, i connected it, it worked but a few mintues later i get a Blue Screen of Death, had to reinstall windows and suddenly the memory got the same error listing the space as a 1024mb drive!!

I been trying all day to make the "Root" thing on linux but could´nt make it, i having a bad feeling that my motherboard is doing this but im not sure!!

Im really stresed!! my MOBO has an M.2_1 port that is supposed to be compatible with PCi 4.0 NVMe cards but both times i got this new one i tried to connect it right there, is there any chance that a voltage problem may be happening??
The Linux reset approach worked, but only to make the drive functional up until power to the machine was cycled.. at which point the drives would once again crash. My experience was with the 2.5” form factor drive only, but I believe the issue was with the firmware on the drive itself. As noted above, I purchased quite a few of these drives (at least 15) from various sources (including brand new, directly from SuperMicro). Ultimately all of the drives exhibited the same issues when run in an NVMe backplane, regardless of the machine in which they were housed. The whole experience really turned me off to Samsung storage in general as their attitude was a firm “we really couldn’t care less- get lost”.

I’ve since moved on to pretty much running Intel/HGST storage exclusively and have no plans to buy a Samsung drive ever again.

Buy a different drive- your motherboard is likely fine.

-Craig

alexherreraz

Oct 20, 2020
Hi again Craig!!

So you´re saying that everytime you turn your PC off and turn it on again the Memory Crashes?

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Hi again Craig!!

So you´re saying that everytime you turn your PC off and turn it on again the Memory Crashes?
The drives not the memory, but pretty much (..at least briefly until I pulled them all out of the machine and wrote them off as expensive paperweights).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The drives not the memory, but pretty much (..at least briefly until I pulled them all out of the machine and wrote them off as expensive paperweights).
not even good paperweights those drives, way too light

alexherreraz

Oct 20, 2020
that´s really depressing, i been trying for days to fix it but couldn´t do it yet... u_u

Have you tried what @BobTB said?? is really interesting

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Not starting the new topic, maybe anybody had the same with these

I'm experiencing strange behavior of MZQLB7T6HMLA-00007 (FW edb52w0q) in 2029U-TN24R4T Supermicro chassis (SSD is validated for it) under Debian. First disk shows up but the next ones throw:

Code:
pciehp 0000:b0:06.0:pcie204: Slot(70-1): Attention button pressed
 pciehp 0000:b0:06.0:pcie204: Slot(70-1): Card present
 pciehp 0000:b0:06.0:pcie204: Slot(70-1) Powering on due to button press
 pciehp 0000:b0:06.0:pcie204: Slot(70-1): Link Up
 pciehp 0000:b0:06.0:pcie204: Slot(70-1): Link Up event ignored; already powering on
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0: BAR 13: no space for [io  size 0x1000]
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0: BAR 13: failed to assign [io  size 0x1000]
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0: BAR 13: no space for [io  size 0x1000]
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0: BAR 13: failed to assign [io  size 0x1000]
 pci 0000:b3:00.0: BAR 6: assigned [mem 0xee500000-0xee50ffff pref]
 pci 0000:b3:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xee510000-0xee513fff 64bit]
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0: PCI bridge to [bus b3]
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0:   bridge window [mem 0xee500000-0xee5fffff]
 pcieport 0000:b0:06.0:   bridge window [mem 0x398000400000-0x3980005fffff 64bit pref]
 nvme nvme5: pci function 0000:b3:00.0
 nvme 0000:b3:00.0: enabling device (0100 -> 0102)
 nvme nvme5: Removing after probe failure status: -19
and so won't appear in the system, but visible on pcie bus:

b3:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
Can't find anything related to such a problem, please help!

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
@Iaroslav looks like its not able to add it in to pcie addressing. Allocating memory etc.
Have you tried other OS? How many PCIe devices are attached? Are you running some VROC? Any strange BIOS settings? What is the debian version? As you can see i have no idea, just spitting questions :D

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
@Iaroslav looks like its not able to add it in to pcie addressing. Allocating memory etc.
Have you tried other OS? How many PCIe devices are attached? Are you running some VROC? Any strange BIOS settings? What is the debian version? As you can see i have no idea, just spitting questions :D
I ended up googling some kernel bugs, but it was dated like 2015-2017
It's a fresh install of debian (bullseye), kernel 4.9.0-14-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.240-2 (2020-10-30)
4 Intel's P4600 running fine, no VROC, nor specific BIOS settings. It's a production server so I don't want to reboot it once again, at least to apply newer MB firmware (although I'm afraid it won't help)
Got another one, but with X10DRU board - 12xP4600 without any issues.
UPD: Changed system to X10DRU - all the Samsungs are now visible, so the problem may be with anything but not the disks.

Last edited:

yelley

Jan 13, 2021
Hello All,

Just my 2cents to this subject.
I've come across a similar situation on a PM863a Samsung SSD 3,8TB Sata with a Firmware version 'ERRORMOD' and a size reported of 1GB.
I use a HP Z840 with LSI controller to attach the SSD.

The SSD could not be used and is not recognized by the standard tools form Samsung, like Magician v 6.21.

However, I could find an older version of this software, V2 and 32 bits, at:
Enterprise SSD Products | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD

With this version you have the ability using the following flags in a command window as Administrator

c:\Users\admin\Downloads>Samsung_Magician_DC_Windows_32bit.exe -L
================================================================================================
Samsung(R) SSD Magician DC Version 2.0
Copyright (C) 2015 SAMSUNG Electronics Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
================================================================================================
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Disk | Model | Serial | Firmware | Capacity | Drive | Total Bytes |
| Number | | Number | | | Health | Written |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2 |SAMSUNG MZ7LM3T8HMLP-000AZ |Serialnr |ERRORMOD | 0 GB | POOR | 0.00 TB |

c:\Users\admin\Downloads>.\Samsung_Magician_DC_Windows_64bit.exe -V
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usage:

magician -d [diskindex] -V [ --vendor-utility ] [parameter-list]
Example:
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --FAlog-dump [or]
magician -d 1 -V -fa
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --PLP-log [or]
magician -d 1 -V -p
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --Escape [or]
magician -d 1 -V -e
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --DSLR [or]
magician -d 1 -V -dslr

-d [ --disk ] Disk-Number of the disk to execute Vendor Utility command
-fa [ --FAlog-dump ] Enables the user to extract the log data from a coreview block of the
SSD
-p [ --PLP-log ] Enables the user to extract the PLP log data from a coreview block of the
SSD
-e [ --Escape ] Attempts to escape the device from the ERROR MODE state
-dslr [ --DSLR ] Extracts DSLR from the SSD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c:\Users\admin\Downloads>Samsung_Magician_DC_Windows_32bit.exe -d 2 -V -e
Disk Number: 2 | Model Name: SAMSUNG MZ7LM3T8HMLP-000AZ | Firmware Version: ERRORMOD
Successfully issued ERROR MODE escape command to the device.
It may take up to 1 minute for the device to be ready.

after approx. 1 minute:

c:\Users\admin\Downloads>Samsung_Magician_DC_Windows_32bit.exe -L
| Disk | Model | Serial | Firmware | Capacity | Drive | Total Bytes |
| Number | | Number | | | Health | Written |
| 2:0:1 |SAMSUNG MZ7LM3T8HMLP-000AZ |Serialnr |GXT51W3Q | 3576 GB | GOOD | 0.00 TB |

And the SSD is usable again! :)

Remark: Later versions of Magician CLI command does not seem to have those -e flag anymore.
Hope this helps for others in the same situation

Last edited: