NVMe boot with SuperMicro X9DA7 & X9DRi-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nericus

Jul 8, 2020
Hello @Nericus

I am trying to boot from the same ASUS card and can only see the first SSD, is that expected behavior?

I am on stock BIOS V 3.4 and have enabled the x4x4x4x4 on the slot with the card.

I am trying to create a raid 0 for XEN server, am I missing a driver or will the motherboard only see one drive?
Make certain that you set the right slot to bifurcate. I remember that it was non-obvious... Like, it was backwards what you expect?

but no, when bifurcated, all plugged in drives should show.

youngchap

Oct 30, 2020
Make certain that you set the right slot to bifurcate. I remember that it was non-obvious... Like, it was backwards what you expect?

but no, when bifurcated, all plugged in drives should show.
I double checked that, im pretty sure I have it correct.

1612681543818.png

1612682382645.png

I am only seeing the one 1TB nvme drive, 4 are currently installed in the card.

youngchap

Oct 30, 2020
ALL HAIL Nericus.

1612683719644.png

Thanks for the help! I hope that others find this because I was mentally getting ready to return the card.

Reactions: noths

Nericus

Jul 8, 2020
ALL HAIL Nericus.

View attachment 17455

Thanks for the help! I hope that others find this because I was mentally getting ready to return the card.
Huzzah! Yeah, that's part of the reason I mentioned the EXACT card I used, so people who find the thread/BIOS have a crystal clear guideline of "This worked".

Your images of the BIOS will certainly help someone else as well!

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
Unfortunately, I didn't have an X9SRL BIOS. The person who'd asked was actually needing an X9SCM BIOS (which I had). They listed the wrong board in the forum post, but the correct one in a PM they'd sent. Sorry for any confusion.
is your X9SCM BIOS nvme boot edit applied on the most recent BIOS released with the 2021 date fix? or is that not how it works?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
is your X9SCM BIOS nvme boot edit applied on the most recent BIOS released with the 2021 date fix? or is that not how it works?
I actually did it some months back before the 2021 date issue was discovered. Since that time, I've retired that board so I didn't have need to download and modify the new BIOS when it came out.

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
I actually did it some months back before the 2021 date issue was discovered. Since that time, I've retired that board so I didn't have need to download and modify the new BIOS when it came out.
are you selling that board by chance?

PhifOrt

Feb 12, 2021
After so many tries and hours spent on searching solution, I just reached to boot from NVME Samsung 970Evo plus on PCIE card in Supermicro X9DAI, measured 3500mb/s, thanks to community sharing and after a sweating BIOS mod :). Thanks a lot !

Jerzy

Feb 21, 2021
Tommy - may I ask for BIOS of x9dri-ln4f+ version 3.3 both modded and original? Thanks. :) I have unmodded v 3.4 ant it's trash - SATA section is ****ed off so I don't wanna mod nor use modded trash version. Under 3.3 SATA section was all fine.

Last edited:

dbram

Mar 3, 2021
Just wanted to signal that I applied the nvme bios/uefi patch today on the most recent bios 2.3a for a X9SCL-F board. To my best knowledge the X9SCM and X9SCL share the same bios.
Now happily running a proxmox setup booting from nvme on the X9SCL-F.

I followed the guide from win-raid forum, had to choose the NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs when inserting after the CSMCore
When installing proxmox all bios settings were set to UEFI only, before running the proxmox installer.

Reactions: madLyfe

aeoneternal

Apr 19, 2021
I am at a complete loss....

I have a supermicro x9DRH-7TF motherboard, trying to get a sun F80 800 GB PCIe SSD to boot windows. The drive has been flashed to the Seagate version so it detects as 800gb instead of 4x200GB

I have tried clover, duet to do it via software. this allowed me to install windows but both software never detected the OS as they claimed they would.
I then modified the bios as done above (tried both regular and small nvmexpress files), I did notice some changes within the bios and was still able to install windows as before with clover and duet but upon restarting still having no boot options besides the eufi shell.

I'm at a complete loss on this one. (also noticed after installing new bios that the "add new boot option" is gone and only the delete is in it's place)

Here is google drive link to the bios I modified - X9DRH8.713

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
sun F80 800 GB PCIe SSD to boot windows
Well, it's not NVMe. If I'm not confusing them for something else, they're really just an LSI SAS2008 with firmware trickery, which means you need to install the LSI driver during the Windows install. Good news is that being an HBA in disguise, it can provide its own boot ROM and doesn't depend on an EFI NVMe driver being present.

aeoneternal

Apr 19, 2021
Well, it's not NVMe. If I'm not confusing them for something else, they're really just an LSI SAS2008 with firmware trickery, which means you need to install the LSI driver during the Windows install. Good news is that being an HBA in disguise, it can provide its own boot ROM and doesn't depend on an EFI NVMe driver being present.

well, in a round 'about way without thinking about this I had already done it. I put the drivers from here: Downloads Nytro WarpDrive Accelerator Card | Seagate Support Canada onto the windows install usb and installed them before installing windows and that is where I am stuck. So maybe i'm in the wrong thread? but close?

Eneb219

May 16, 2021
Hey guys, I’m completely new to Windows Servers so im sorry if I ask questions which should be clear to a server owner. I bought a asrock ep2c602 plus two Xeon e5 2690 and 64 gb of ram. I would like using a pcie to m.2 expansion card with 2 2tb data m.2 and a 500gb booting sata ssd. Should I try just the guide of the post from 2017 or has Someone an already working bios for me ? I wouldn’t mit paying a appropriate fee for it. Greetings from Germany (which hopefully explains my bad English skills) and thank you already for your reading.

Cripzen

Sep 3, 2021
Anyone got a modded or unmodded v3.3 bios for X9DRi-LN4F+? Uppgraded to 3.4 and now i cant even get windows to boot if im lucky enough to find the hard drive...

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Does anyone have a modded BIOS for the X9DRH-7F that allows me to set the x16 slot to x4x4x4x4? The stock 3.3 BIOS does not have it and I cannot find the 3.2 BIOS which I think had it.