NVMe boot with SuperMicro X9DA7 & X9DRi-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
Would the bios mod you made

TommyL, work for an x9dr3-f board?? Because if it does, might i also request a copy please??
Hi! I would never know im afraid. My guess would be no...but im not 100% sure. You could get a copy, but then you are flashing completely on you own im afraid :/

Regards

Tommy

abontav

Jun 25, 2020
Hi!!! i know is an old thread but anyone have a modded version for the X9DRI-F? Thanks!.

Last edited:

mangojuice

Jul 2, 2020
I am wondering if there is a way to reveal bclk mods in the X9DRI-F bios? Is it possible to set this with amibcp?

Nericus

Jul 8, 2020
Can I get the modded BIOS as well? Maybe re-host it somewhere so people stop pestering you? :)

Okay folks, I rolled the dice, and patched the BIOS myself. This will patch your X9DRI-LN4F+ to v3.3, and allow booting off NVME devices.

I'm specifically booting off the ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Card, but you need to go into PCI settings and set your slot to bifurcate to x4x4x4x4.

When buying your M.2 drives, make certain that you get one that specifies it is an NVME SSD, not a SATA SSD. (Made that mistake, highly annoying)

Just an FYI, for my setup, I had to put UEFI OS in the boot order, and under the UEFI boot, make it the first choice, not UEFI Shell.

Here's a Rapidgator link to a zip file containing the Patched BIOS.
No premium or any of that BS needed. File is only 3.73MB compressed, so even if it's throttled, it won't take long.

If you want to make a donation, give it to the dude who is the source of all this, not me! :)

Edit: Added the specific board that the BIOS was built for, it may work for other variations though.

Last edited:

yayoha

Aug 23, 2020
Hi TommyL, can i have a copy of your modded bios too ?

I have supermicro x9dri-ln4f+ board also.

Thanks. :)

Quorthon

Aug 4, 2014
Can I get the modded BIOS as well? Maybe re-host it somewhere so people stop pestering you? :)

Okay folks, I rolled the dice, and patched the BIOS myself. This will patch your X9DRI to v3.3, and allow booting off NVME devices.

I'm specifically booting off the ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Card, but you need to go into PCI settings and set your slot to bifurcate to x4x4x4x4.

When buying your M.2 drives, make certain that you get one that specifies it is an NVME SSD, not a SATA SSD. (Made that mistake, highly annoying)

Just an FYI, for my setup, I had to put UEFI OS in the boot order, and under the UEFI boot, make it the first choice, not UEFI Shell.

Here's a Rapidgator link to a zip file containing the Patched BIOS.
No premium or any of that BS needed. File is only 3.73MB compressed, so even if it's throttled, it won't take long.

If you want to make a donation, give it to the dude who is the source of all this, not me! :)

Hello, your patched bios is for which model of X9DRI ? Thanks again !

Volt

Jun 13, 2020
Can anyone confirm if there exists a mod for the x9dr3-f that works yet?? Still interested in this, but do NOT want to brick my board given i am currently without employment during this pandemic as I go back to school for IT, all my money is going into schooling, no spare funding to replace my board if I brick it by trying unconfirmed modded bios.

In the meantime, I'll spin up a turnkey torrent server to rehost these bios mods, if anyone can inform me who has these bios and where they're hosted, I'll go ahead and serve them myself by way of torrents if anyone wants. I got the spare bandwidth and server space. If this is allowed, or not, please advise and I'll delete this part if needed.

gfallucca

Dec 6, 2020
I would love to try it out if you still have it :)

Tommy

Edit: Modded myself, gonna try flashing it soon :)
Did you install your modded bios wiith NVMe and is working well? I've X9DRI-LNF4+ and I would like to boot from NVME, could you provide me your modded bios?
I modded too following the guide, but I'm not so confident, i used MMTOOL 5.00.2 and not the suggested 4.50.023.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
GF

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
Did you install your modded bios wiith NVMe and is working well? I've X9DRI-LNF4+ and I would like to boot from NVME, could you provide me your modded bios?
I modded too following the guide, but I'm not so confident, i used MMTOOL 5.00.2 and not the suggested 4.50.023.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
GF
Its working very well. I have sent you a PM

Jubeldum

Jun 9, 2020
Could someone tell me if this will work on a X9SRL-F ? Looking at the several confirmations (on other x9 boards) i think it will but i would like to be 100% curtain.

I am not looking for bifurcation, would be a Nice extra.

I would like to boot from m.2/pci-e adapter. I have one with a small Optane drive. Should be perfect for my FreeNAS system.

If this will work could someone email (PM) me the correct file, or send me a download link?

Check your email. Cheers!
Markess, any chance that I can get a copy of that NVMe patched X9SRL-F Bios Revision 3.3 (X9SRL8.B13) firmware please?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Markess, any chance that I can get a copy of that NVMe patched X9SRL-F Bios Revision 3.3 (X9SRL8.B13) firmware please?
Unfortunately, I didn't have an X9SRL BIOS. The person who'd asked was actually needing an X9SCM BIOS (which I had). They listed the wrong board in the forum post, but the correct one in a PM they'd sent. Sorry for any confusion.

If you want to try rolling your own, this guide is pretty complete and it wasn't too difficult. I used the Aptio option on a different X9SR* board and it was quite simple following the instructions. Only took 20 minutes including the time to read the guide: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS . I'd offer to make one for you, but it requires Windows and I've got nothing with Windows installed at the moment.

Jubeldum

Jun 9, 2020
Unfortunately, I didn't have an X9SRL BIOS. The person who'd asked was actually needing an X9SCM BIOS (which I had). They listed the wrong board in the forum post, but the correct one in a PM they'd sent. Sorry for any confusion.

If you want to try rolling your own, this guide is pretty complete and it wasn't too difficult. I used the Aptio option on a different X9SR* board and it was quite simple following the instructions. Only took 20 minutes including the time to read the guide: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS . I'd offer to make one for you, but it requires Windows and I've got nothing with Windows installed at the moment.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to read that a few times until it sinks into the grey matter.

youngchap

Oct 30, 2020
Hello @Nericus

I am trying to boot from the same ASUS card and can only see the first SSD, is that expected behavior?

I am on stock BIOS V 3.4 and have enabled the x4x4x4x4 on the slot with the card.

I am trying to create a raid 0 for XEN server, am I missing a driver or will the motherboard only see one drive?