NVMe boot with SuperMicro X9DA7 & X9DRi-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Has anyone tried with an X9SCM-F Board? Someone had success a year ago with the Fernando WinRAID method. I'd like to do the same, but hoping to get an already functional BIOS, since I don't have easy access to a Windows PC. (Going to use Linux on the system after)
I've had success with an X9SCL (see post above). AFAIK the X9SCM-F uses the same BIOS.

I used Fernando's WinRAID forum guide with the Aptio tool and "small" NVMe file (the full NVMe file was too large). If you want a copy, feel free to PM me with an email address and I'll send it.

Zombielinux

Jun 14, 2019
I've had success with an X9SCL (see post above). AFAIK the X9SCM-F uses the same BIOS.

I used Fernando's WinRAID forum guide with the Aptio tool and "small" NVMe file (the full NVMe file was too large). If you want a copy, feel free to PM me with an email address and I'll send it.

I'd like to give it a go. I've got an x9scm-f that could use some bifurcation on one of the pcie3.0 slots.

Sinusshaphard123

Oct 11, 2019
Parts used:
SuperMicro X9DA7
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - 500GB
Angelbird Wings PX1
2x Kingston USB flash drives

Step 1:
Create Win10 UEFI USB.
I used the 1st part of these instructions: Windows 10 Tip: Create Windows 10 Setup Media the Right Way - Thurrott.com
I added 2 folders to the USB drive:
-Folder #1*: for the Samsung NVMe driver from here: Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers
* I installed the NVMe driver right before starting the Win10 install
-Folder #2**: Intel RST driver: Download Intel® RSTe AHCI & SCU Software RAID driver for Windows*
** this fixes the yellow bang in Device manager

This is what the contents of the USB stick look like after including the 2 folders:

Step 2:
Create a DOS bootable USB stick (I used Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way)
**Grab the x9DA7 BIOS from Supermicro
**I used this guide to modify the BIOS
**I changed the Supermicro BIOS file extension from X9DA724.702 to .ROM (and back again when I was done with the mod)

Step 3:
Update the BIOS using the "modded" version (follow the SuperMicro instructions to upgrade)
Power down system after successful "modded" BIOS upgrade

Contents of modded BIOS USB stick (looks exactly the same at the stock BIOS):

Step 4:
Power system back on & change a few BIOS settings, F4 to save, exit & reboot

Step 5:
Power system on...F11 to invoke boot menu...Install Windows 10 (via UEFI)
After Win 10 reboot, go back into BIOS & set system to boot from "Windows Boot Manager" (aka NVMe M.2)
The NVMe drive will NOT show up as a boot drive.
"Hard Disk : Windows Boot Manager" is the NVMe drive.

Will this work with a h8dg6-f bios?

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
If I want to use 2 Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 cards to hold my unRAID cache array, do you anticipate any need for a BIOS mod? unRAID boots from a USB stick so I don't need NVMe boot support, only the ability for the OS to see the drives.

tjatwood

Dec 17, 2019
Many thanks for all these work and details.

Just modded Bios v3.2 of X9DRi-LN4F+
=> now 1TB 960Pro not only works but also boots perfectly W10 within kryoM.2 PCIe 3.0 x4
:D
Have you tried modding v3.3 of the BIOS yet? If I use Samsung 950 drive, will I need to really mod the system? Have the same motherboard with revision 1.2 that supports V2 CPU's. The V3.3 fixes spectre issues.

Thanks

Tim

tullius

Dec 20, 2019
Thanks to mb300sd for the bios version of the X9dai. UEFI-boot works with a PCI-e-adapter and a MP510 disk.
Still one problem: when I reboot, the bios gets stuck at errorcode B2.

Reactions: nikalai

tjatwood

Dec 17, 2019
Do you have a copy of the modded BIOS for X9DRI-LN4F+? I think 3.3 is the latest with Spectre fixes.

Thanks

Tim

Big thanks to mafrieger for the help. I managed to fresh install and configure an X9DRI-LN4F+. Couple of things not mentioned earlier:
1 - You cant UEFI boot from CD/DVD you must use a USB Bootdisk
2 - Didn't need any extra drivers at all, you can resolve the driver requirement for sata after the install (On Supermicro site as SCU driver)

I also tried to use an Asus Hyper M2 X16 quad card, only the first M2 slot works. I tried to enable the slot bifurcation with the hidden bios settings which did turn the PCIE speed setting for the slot from 1 setting to 4 but does not seem to configure the Root Ports correctly. PCIE Bifurcation can likely be added but only by a skilled bios engineer. Of course I am assuming that the Hyper M2 X16 card does not have any special requirements as I'm not sure how the VROC / Standard mode setting in Asus bios is applied.

tjatwood

Dec 17, 2019
I have a working and tested copy if you want...
That would be fantastic - I have looked at another persons modded BIOS and when I tried it, I get a different result. Not sure if theirs was 3.2.

On theirs, the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs was located directly after the runtimememoryhole at location 01 88
On mine, it put it two blank lines AFTER the runtimememoryhole at location 01 8A

Was not sure which version to FLASH, as I have modded three ASUS motherboards and the NVME FFS file never had any blank spaces. Just found it very odd.

Thanks again and would greatly appreciate the 3.3 BIOS for X9DRI-LN4F+

Tim

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
That would be fantastic - I have looked at another persons modded BIOS and when I tried it, I get a different result. Not sure if theirs was 3.2.

On theirs, the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs was located directly after the runtimememoryhole at location 01 88
On mine, it put it two blank lines AFTER the runtimememoryhole at location 01 8A

Was not sure which version to FLASH, as I have modded three ASUS motherboards and the NVME FFS file never had any blank spaces. Just found it very odd.

Thanks again and would greatly appreciate the 3.3 BIOS for X9DRI-LN4F+

Tim
PM sent :)

VOR

Jan 22, 2020
I'm trying and it refuses to accept, as it contains "spam-like" elements.
I created a temp alias to receive the message named z8972. It's living in a .net domain named thefillmores.

Hopefully that will pass the filter, and I'll kill the alias after receipt. Thanks Tommy!

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
I'm trying and it refuses to accept, as it contains "spam-like" elements.
I created a temp alias to receive the message named z8972. It's living in a .net domain named thefillmores.

Hopefully that will pass the filter, and I'll kill the alias after receipt. Thanks Tommy!
I've sent you a PM...did you receive it?

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
Could someone tell me if this will work on a X9SRL-F ? Looking at the several confirmations (on other x9 boards) i think it will but i would like to be 100% curtain.

I am not looking for bifurcation, would be a Nice extra.

I would like to boot from m.2/pci-e adapter. I have one with a small Optane drive. Should be perfect for my FreeNAS system.

If this will work could someone email (PM) me the correct file, or send me a download link?

Eddie666

Feb 27, 2020
I have a working and tested copy if you want...

Hi, could i have a copy too?

Hi to everyone; just few days ago i finish my built, and I'm quite satisfied.....the only thing that i'd like to improve is the hard drive section, using a pcie- nvme drive as boot drive

CPUs: dual cpu xeon 2667 v2
Ram: 64gb di ram ECC DDR3 1600mhz
Motherboard: supermicro x9dri-ln4f+ EE-ATX
Cpu Cooler: N°2 Arctic freezer 33
First Hard disk: SSD Crucial BX 480gb
Second Hard disk: 1tb 2,5" 7200rpm
Gpu: Gainward GTX 1080 GS Phoenix
Psu: Enermax revolution 1000w 80+
Case: deepcool matrexx mesh;
PCI-E USB 3.0
PCI-E AUDIO: ASUS XONAR DGX
Usb Bluetooth