NVMe Adapter on HP DL380 Gen8 Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eppa

Jul 31, 2016
I trying to add some NVMe drives to a few HP DL380 Gen8 servers....

I bought an ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Adapter Card and a couple of Corsair MP600 1TB NVMe drives, however i am only able to see a single disk in the OS. I attempted to add the Adapter into a desktop machine as well but i get the same problem.

I have tested the drives in different slots on the adapter, different machines (both desktops and servers) and regardless of where i put them only a single drive shows up. I am suspecting some kind of enumeration issue, possibly the PCIe port must be in a specific a specific mode, though i havent been able to find any such setting in the BIOS of the servers. I see some people mentioning bifurcate in order to split 16 lanes into 4x4x4x4 lanes so will have to look-into that.

Anyone know of a workaround to get the NVMe's working? I dont need to boot from them or have them in an array.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
If your board/BIOS don't support PCIe bifurcation, you'll only ever see the first drive. TTBOMK none of the Gen8's support bifurcation.

It's possible to use a carrier card that has PCIe bridge chips to obviate the need for bifurcation, but those are rarer and much more expensive.

eppa

Jul 31, 2016
If your board/BIOS don't support PCIe bifurcation, you'll only ever see the first drive. TTBOMK none of the Gen8's support bifurcation.

It's possible to use a carrier card that has PCIe bridge chips to obviate the need for bifurcation, but those are rarer and much more expensive.
Thanks for the clarification... do you have an example of a carrier card?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
The only one I remember was the Highpoint SSD7102. I think Syba made a couple as well, but IIRC availability vanished after Broadcom took over PLX.