NVIDIA Turing

Discussion in 'Cryptocurrency Mining and Markets' started by keybored, Feb 16, 2018.

1. keybored

keybored Active Member

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I think there are some parts of that which are not accurate.

3. big dog

big dog New Member

Agreed. Here is the original source and it's all speculation: Nvidia may reveal dedicated ‘Turing’ cryptocurrency mining cards in March

4. Klee

Klee Well-Known Member

I have been saving for the new Nvidia Volta cards, but if this is true......

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@Klee - think about how much Volta V100 die space is for the Tensor cores. That is silicon that makes little sense for gaming and crypto mining.

6. Klee

Klee Well-Known Member

I have not read much about the Volta gpu's at all, so whats the story on them?

7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Klee

Klee Well-Known Member

So does that mean that it has large areas of the die that could not be used for gaming or mining or that it would have to run new software that is able to use it for gaming or mining?

I never messed around with machine learning at all and am unsure how "general purpose" Tensor can be.

9. funkywizard

funkywizard mmm.... bandwidth.

Seems to me that if someone wanted to make a new cryptocurrency, a proof of work that used matrix-fused-multiply-add (what tensor cores are for), would be quite interesting.

You would take hardware that currently makes no sense for mining (Volta and a handful of other special purpose chips), and suddenly it would be 10x or better at mining than alternative hardware.

Ideally you would want to balance memory use, memory bandwidth/latency, and compute, to maximize the advantage of Volta versus other hardware, so that ASIC would not be viable.