Nvidia passthrough in ESXI 6.5 or 6.7?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I need videocard for my new HTPC build and I need short one or I need to cut my case. It will be passed through to VM running on ESXi host.
I got very good luck with Radeon cards in such configuration but heard lots of bad stories about Nvidia. Radeon doesn't make Short "ITX" cards now, last one was Vega56 Nano. There's one Powercolor 5700 ITX, but that's about it. Nvidia have few more cards I can choose from 1650 ITX to 2070 ITX.

What's current state of consumer Nvidia cards and passthrough? I've read about disabling cpu bit in ESXi config before but it seems that it doesn't fix problems for everyone.

PS. Does anyone have RX 580 4GB from HP computers available?

Last edited:

SamuelL

Nov 15, 2019
I haven't tried with AMD cards but I previously had a GTX 1060 successfully passed through to ESXI 6.5

I recently rebuilt my ancient server with ESXi 6.7 and put in a spare 1080ti. I had planned to use this under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS but have had difficulty. The card is recognized under the OS and drivers install but with limited control and no xserver settings.

I'm going to be testing this soon under arch/manjaro and Windows server to see if passthrough still works under 6.7 with "unsupported" cards and disabled cpu bit.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I just got 5500XT from Dell today, that's the only "ITX-sized" card on Navi platform. Passthrough works fine, did a few benchmarks and it works great. Bit less points then typical 5500xt gets, but I got high-core Xeon instead of gaming CPU and my 5500xt is regular, not overclocked version. Haven't build what I'm building now, but getting there. So far, pretty happy.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Ran into so-called Navi reset bug. Cannot reboot VM, have to rebook host altogether to make it work.
Swapped card for Asus 2070 Dual Mini. That's smallest RTX card available, besides Gigabyte 2070 ITX. Gigabyte goes for $500+ and have only one fan.
Asus is a bit longer: 197mm vs 177mm. It blocks one SAS port on my mobo, but second port is available.
This was most useful post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...assthrough-esxi-6-5.12631/page-11#post-237765