Nvidia Gamestream from Quadro Card?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Has anyone gotten Nvidia Gamestream to work with a Quadro series card? I realize it's not officially supported but I've seen some people post that they were able to do it, just not how.

Trying to stream Launchbox Big Box to my Nvidia Shield from a VM with a Quadro K4000 in it.

besterino

Apr 22, 2017
Works for me with a P400 and Moonlight client.

You need to install GeForce Experience manually/separately as it is not included in the Quadro driver package.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Works for me with a P400 and Moonlight client.

You need to install GeForce Experience manually/separately as it is not included in the Quadro driver package.
I think I tried that but GeForce Exprience wasn't finding my Shield. Let me try it again and see what I get. So all you need is the Quadro drive and GeForce Experience on the machine? No other software?

EDIT: So I re-installed the latest quadro drive and then re-installed GeForce Experience. It says I'm gamestream ready but when I go to the Shield it just says "information not available." I've setup Gamestream on both my shields and they are on the same network as this machine so I don't understand why it's not finding them.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I figured it out. Needed to connect via VNC instead of RDP. I'm guessing RDP would have worked fine if I had a dummy HDMI/DP plug for the GPU.

besterino

Apr 22, 2017
No, RDP and game stream are incompatible, i.e. game stream crashes when you log in via RDP, regardless of dummy attached or not. Will only work again after restart (of the VM). I know because I have a dummy attached. ;)

Also, game stream only works, if a) a user is logged in and b) the GPU/driver detects a monitor. So I guess that in your case - because you do not have a dummy attached to your GPU - game stream will only work if a user is connected via VNC (thereby possibly fulfilling both requirements - not familiar with VNC).

I solved all those issues with Microsofts autologon tool and a monitor-dummy. This way I can logon via RDP if need be, simply reboot any time and the VM is ready for streaming after reboot. Maybe a bit clumsy but I try to avoid additional tools wherever I can.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
No, RDP and game stream are incompatible, i.e. game stream crashes when you log in via RDP, regardless of dummy attached or not. Will only work again after restart (of the VM). I know because I have a dummy attached. ;)

Also, game stream only works, if a) a user is logged in and b) the GPU/driver detects a monitor. So I guess that in your case - because you do not have a dummy attached to your GPU - game stream will only work if a user is connected via VNC (thereby possibly fulfilling both requirements - not familiar with VNC).

I solved all those issues with Microsofts autologon tool and a monitor-dummy. This way I can logon via RDP if need be, simply reboot any time and the VM is ready for streaming after reboot.
Good tip. I do have dummy plug inbound and autologin setup already so I should be good to go. Thanks!

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
My 2c: because you are running virtualized, ensure that K4000 is set as main monitor or else gamestream wouldn't work.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
My 2c: because you are running virtualized, ensure that K4000 is set as main monitor or else gamestream wouldn't work.
How do I determine which is set as the main monitor in a VM? But I already tested streaming to my shield and it's working so I should be good.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
It's under display properties I believe where you can identify the monitors (1, 2, etc) and select the "main".

Because you will have the dummy plug in, you should now have two monitors: svga (on ESXI) and the k4000.

If you remove the svga, then you may not have access to the console.

besterino

Apr 22, 2017
Once you‘ve set everything up and are sure it’s working, I‘d try setting svga.present=FALSE in the advanced VM settings. This disables the virtual GPU and making you dedicated Passthrough GPU the only one (with the dummy as the default and only display). You will loose the ESXi Web-Console but as long as network connectivity works you should be fine with RDP etc. In a worst case scenario, you can of course set it to true again for troubleshooting for example.

I‘m saying „try“ because that works happily with my 2080Ti passthroughed, but the VM with a TitanXp won‘t boot anymore... at least in my current system - been too lazy/busy with other things to explore further why that might be the case.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Once you‘ve set everything up and are sure it’s working, I‘d try setting svga.present=FALSE in the advanced VM settings. This disables the virtual GPU and making you dedicated Passthrough GPU the only one (with the dummy as the default and only display). You will loose the ESXi Web-Console but as long as network connectivity works you should be fine with RDP etc. In a worst case scenario, you can of course set it to true again for troubleshooting for example.

I‘m saying „try“ because that works happily with my 2080Ti passthroughed, but the VM with a TitanXp won‘t boot anymore... at least in my current system - been too lazy/busy with other things to explore further why that might be the case.
I'm using KVM not ESXi.