Nvidia buys Mellanox for 6.9B beating out Intel

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
It threatens freedom of choice, same with Intel purchasing them.
Nvidia's problem thus far on the dgx/dgx-2 boxes has been multi-node scaling...they are hoping to rectify that.
Mellanox engineers are quite bright... I just hope they don't get snuffed out by the great cocky Huang.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
But that vertical integration play. What if they bought Xilinx? And then with a powerful enough ARM cpu for the servers they could be a one stop shop for everything and not need any outside vendors except for things like motherboards etc.

Reactions: Dreece

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
But that vertical integration play. What if they bought Xilinx? And then with a powerful enough ARM cpu for the servers they could be a one stop shop for everything and not need any outside vendors except for things like motherboards etc.
Need high per thread ipc for gpu feeding. Not something server arm chips have traditionally been good at.
But they do use arm on the inferencing side on the car platforms.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm much happier having them go to a company that does not already build nics and fabrics (Nvidia) than going to one who does (Intel). At least this is a combination that does not immediately shrink the number of competitors in the space. If they had gone to Intel it would have combined the #1 and #2 providers of high-speed (25gig+) nics. That would have been very, very bad.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm much happier having them go to a company that does not already build nics and fabrics (Nvidia) than going to one who does (Intel). At least this is a combination that does not immediately shrink the number of competitors in the space. If they had gone to Intel it would have combined the #1 and #2 providers of high-speed (25gig+) nics. That would have been very, very bad.
Intel technically does not have publicly available 100GbE NICs, yet.

https://www.servethehome.com/nvidia-to-acquire-mellanox-a-potential-prelude-to-servers/

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
It sure would be nice to see high end gpus use QSFP for video out, especially since modern stuff is just packet data anyways. Signaling and connectors are already capable of bandwidth for insane 8k 12bit 240hz displays or whatever. Bonus: long fiber runs already a thing.

Would be much better than the current hodge-podge of bandwidth starved hdmi and slightly less starved displayport.

Unfortunately I don't expect much from this buyout than extra middle fingers tacked on top of otherwise great mellanox gear.