NVIDIA A6000 vs A40

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

L.P.

Feb 17, 2019
Hey everyone,

I am just about to order some new GPU servers and am faced with the choice whether to get the 8 * A40, or 8 * A6000 in a 4U server chassis instead. Has anyone of you got any experience comparing the two for such 8 GPU builds? Is there an inherent advantage of one over the other in this scenario?

The servers are set to go into a server room which has a cooled room temperature, but I am not keen on having to resort to watercooled doors etc.

Looking forward to your respones.

Best -L

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Isn't it that the A40 is passively cooled with ECC and the A6000 is actively cooled without ECC but it is very slightly faster?

I'd say it depending on the system and what is the best for cooling in that system.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
A6000 has also less restricted fp64 pipe from 1:64 to 1:32
(obviously if you need fp64 you should look for different cards.)

It highly depends on your 4U chassis; If your 4U server chassis has standard server style cooling, and layout you should go with A40's, as A6000 won't be able to pull any air.
(A6000 is meant more for high-end workstation with decent space on the side for it to pull the air, not a server where typically you have no real space between the cards)

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
Hi,

Your particular use case and performance needs will ultimately determine whether you choose the A40 or A6000 for your 8 GPU setup. The A6000 can be a better option if you need maximum performance and can handle the extra power and heat generation. The A40 might be a better choice, though, if you're seeking for a more affordable option and don't need the best [link removed]

Have a great day.
Has this reply been generated with an A40?

Last edited: