Nutanix Community Edition - Invites

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
If the invites dry up again it seems like they aren't required. I signed up for access yesterday afternoon and got it this morning so it seems like they're trying to be pretty inclusive.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Next time I see our Nutanix sales guy I'll let him know that I've got a forum full of people looking for invites - I'm sure he'd be happy to have a bunch of guys looking into the community edition.

Also, if there are any benchmark's you'd like me to run against our eval setup, let me know. I can't get exclusive access to it - there will be other workload on the cluster while I run any benchmarks, but better than nothing.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
As of others have said, they like every other vendor make a lot of claims about performance. They have like vendors have said what kind of performance they can achieve with their systems, everyone does the same basic tricks with synthetic workloads that make the numbers look good but are nothing like any realworld loads would be.

We seriously looked at them two years ago and they would have worked for our workloads with one exception. We could purchase a traditional array with separate vmware boxes for less money and get more capacity. As the main datacenter is 70-80% (thank you virtualization) we have no shortage of rack space and given the low cost of power here there would be no real ROI on power savings.

I know of a couple companies in the area that love their scale-out approach for scaling VDI scenarios. They largest install I've heard of is from fortune 50 retailer based out of Minnesota where they were ordering the gear by the pallet.

pro_IT_2000

Sep 9, 2015
I'd really prefer to see more products like Starwind's Virtual San and ScaleIO where they're software installations onto host systems and not total and complete, obscure Unix off-branches.
Hi Dajinn,
ScaleIO is fine however you still need 3 nodes of them to get HA. With StarWind you get the same but you are perfect with only two servers.
Is your environment KVM only?