Nutanix Bug - Intel CPU Expected

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Already tweeted this one, but was doing two Nutanix installations today. One was for a single node cluster. The second was going to be a three node cluster.

Why does this look like it is a bug? Says Nutanix Community Edition cannot be installed on this hardware. Reason: Intel CPU expected, got Genuine Intel(R) CPU @ 2.10GHz

Any ideas how to get past this? It is a dual Intel Xeon E5 V3 system so not like it is some old setup.

Nutanix Installer - ERROR 3.JPG

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick, with a name like Nutanix, , sounds like should be going into a bowl with milk for breakfast, instead of Your PC..
I want to run Nutanix in Fremont in the worst way. It just does not want to install (easily) for me.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
I don't know anything about Nutanix but sounds like it is looking for some CPU feature that might not be available on the E3. For example to run KVM on Illumos you need to have an EPT enabled chip. Something similar maybe?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I don't know anything about Nutanix but sounds like it is looking for some CPU feature that might not be available on the E3. For example to run KVM on Illumos you need to have an EPT enabled chip. Something similar maybe?
E5-2600 V3 - it should work.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
It should work - most likely the CPU is too new and so is not in its list of certified chips.

mufsta

Oct 11, 2012
Patrick, have you checked out this article about running Nutanix nested? There is a line in there about disabling the cpu check by performing the following:

Comment out the following in /home/install/phx_iso/phoenix/minimum_reqs.py

checkVtx(cpuinfo)
checkIsIntel(cpuinfo)

#NextConf running Nutanix Community Edition nested on Fusion - VirtualLifestyle.nl

Props to Joep Piscaer. He saved me countless hours of reverse engineering and hacking to get Nutatinx running in our lab!

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick, have you checked out this article about running Nutanix nested? There is a line in there about disabling the cpu check by performing the following:

Comment out the following in /home/install/phx_iso/phoenix/minimum_reqs.py

checkVtx(cpuinfo)
checkIsIntel(cpuinfo)

#NextConf running Nutanix Community Edition nested on Fusion - VirtualLifestyle.nl

Props to Joep Piscaer. He saved me countless hours of reverse engineering and hacking to get Nutatinx running in our lab!
Hey thank you lots for this link! I will give it a try.

I did get a note back from the Nutanix folks and they are fixing it in the next version.