number of cpu sockets supported by windows 10 versions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
So my understand is that:

home = 1 cpu
pro = 2 cpu
pro for WS = 4 cpu (I actually want to know if it's just 4 or is it 4+)
server = 4+ cpus (is there any difference in number of cpu socket between standard and datacenter?)

Where does that leave enterprise, ltsc? are these limited to only 2 cpu?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
As far as I know and understand there is no core limit on either standard or datacenter server 2019. (Enterprise server is gone in current versions)

as for windows 10, your question got me wondering (since I have never needed to worry) and google wasn’t much help :-/ (normally Microsoft have really decent comparison tables on this stuff but I didn’t find)

Reactions: wildpig1234

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
not sure if this answers the windows 10 side but according to this Windows 10 versions limited to 2 socket / up to 256 cores. Last core support is a bit unclear as the post states Windows 8 at that point.

Windows 10 versions CPU limits

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
So my understand is that:

home = 1 cpu
pro = 2 cpu
pro for WS = 4 cpu (I actually want to know if it's just 4 or is it 4+)
server = 4+ cpus (is there any difference in number of cpu socket between standard and datacenter?)

Where does that leave enterprise, ltsc? are these limited to only 2 cpu?
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations—power through advanced workloads - Microsoft 365 Blog

Max 4 CPU 256 Cores

Edit: there is a chart in there ... looks like Win 10 Pro for Workstations and Enterprise are same.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeah, server 2019 is just standard and datacenter now. But it does look like w10 pro WS is limited to 4 cpu socket as is W10 enterprise (which would also included ltsc).

So for 8 sockets you would still need the server O/S.... But nice to know that w10 enterprise does support 4 cpu sockets...

it's used to be that the server software looks so much different but now they use the same GUI as the non server software. I ran server datacenter 2019 before on a dual cpu xeon 2011 and it feels just like running the w10 enterprise with no real additional overhead (unless you add server components addon and loads, etc). the base install doesn't even take up more space...lol... And it doesn't have the bloatware that come with the regular consumer w10 like MS store, edge, etc. but could never figure out how to get sleep in the server vers to show up in the menu... so the ltsc is the next best thing to the ideal w10 o/s (despite what MS tells you or discourage, i think for most people on here ltsc is the best w10 os)...