Now also a proud owner of a CISCO AIR 3702

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Going to flash it into autonomous mode and then throw in a few wireless ssid vlans with some custom guest portals. Just managed to get my head round Junos, now it's Cisco IOS time.

Anyone else have one of these running in autonomous mode rather than lightweight/controller managed form?

Any quirks? issues? gotchas I should know of to save me potential headaches?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Have an 1802 running that way, no real gotcha but I know the 1802 supports even being a sort of WLC, not sure ehat the 1702’s support.

Cisco online product manual was all I needed to figure it out.

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I was browsing cisco website and that chat box came up "do you need any help?" sort of thing... so I wrote "I'm looking for a really cheap deal on a Cisco Air 4800, I dont' want to pay rip-off prices, can you sell me one at a mate's rate?"...
... I still have the window open... no reply as of yet :D

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
You'll lose features like CleanAir by running it in autonomous mode. You can find torrents for the virtual WLC on certcollection.org. Licensing is based on the honor system.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@muhfugen does that limitation about clean air apply to the mobility express masters, 1800/2800/3800 series do you know ?
I can’t see that it does but i don’t even how how to confirm it’s function or not, maybe I am blind in the web interface where I just took a quick look.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
You'll lose features like CleanAir by running it in autonomous mode. You can find torrents for the virtual WLC on certcollection.org. Licensing is based on the honor system.
It has a built-in air cleaner??? :D

I'm assuming I can at any point re-flash to use a virtual controller if need be, or is flashing to autonomous mode a one-way ticket?

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
does that limitation about clean air apply to the mobility express masters, 1800/2800/3800 series do you know ?
I can’t see that it does but i don’t even how how to confirm it’s function or not, maybe I am blind in the web interface where I just took a quick look.
No clue, I only have some 3602i APs with RM3000AC modules at home. But if you can't find it in the web interface to enable/disable then it probably doesn't support it. Anyways if you have a VM host, the vWLC itself only takes like 1GB ram and 2GB disk and supports 200 APs.

I'm assuming I can at any point re-flash to use a virtual controller if need be, or is flashing to autonomous mode a one-way ticket?
Yep you can reflash easily. CleanAir is where it can scan for interference in the background periodically and change channels to work around it. Also if you want to be a dick, you can use "rogue containment" features with the vWLC to perform targeted jamming of your neighbors APs or clients.

Last edited:

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
@muhfugen does that limitation about clean air apply to the mobility express masters, 1800/2800/3800 series do you know ?
Not sure what its interface is like, but if it is similar to the WLC, go to Advanced. Click the Wireless tab. Select Access Points->Radios->802.11a/n/ac, click the triangle to the right of a radio and select Configure and it should show it as in the bottom of my pic here. Also I know that not all APs support CleanAir, for instance my old 1141s and 1142s (draft .11n) did not. I dont think the 1X00s do, the 3X00s will, and i'm not sure about the 2X00s.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
you can use "rogue containment" features with the vWLC to perform targeted jamming of your neighbors APs or clients.
Nearest neighbour is about 400 yards away, so looks like no fun for me :(

We have a pretty clean spectrum here, the only problem are these foot thick solid concrete walls between every room. I think I may have to consider the virtual controller if I do go for another couple of 3702s. I'm going to try and mount it in the attic and see if that works better as in the signal isn't having to pass through walls then one would presume. (not an expert in radio waves)

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Great news. I didn't need to mount it in the attic, just stuck it up on the ceiling halfway down the hallway, one access point does the whole house, even when I go to the far edge into the sunroom, though it says -96dbm on the wifi signal meter, I'm still getting a stable solid 234mbps on the 5ghz ac radio.

The only thing that's driving me insane is all the options, there's just too much to tinker with. Is there a nice manual for this thing anywhere? I think I'll make an exception to RTFM with this new old toy ;)

I might get lucky with a 3802 soon so might swap this one out, but this does everything we need and I like the blue light on it, I thought it was going to stay green, but now it's blue.

I used a shielded super-stiff cable to power it, crimped it all nice and good but then realised that the cable has a poor bend radius so at the moment one can see a little black wire looping out, only just mind you... I think I'll drill an extra hole through the mounting plate and then just swing the cable down so it pops right in at a squeeze.

All in all, quite happy with it, just the plethora of options go over me tiny head which has most definitely been spoilt by simplistic consumer wifi access points.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Hmmm, I'm only getting 144mbps on the 2.4 n-band with 95% signal strength, shouldn't this be 300mbps?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I run a couple of 3702's flashed to auto mouse mode. No complaints from me on them, they just work day in, day out. IOS and JunOS have striking similarities, so you shouldn't find it too much of a leap. Nothing I have done has even come close to swamping these yet and they have range like nothing else on the market I have tried. I would say you'll love em once you get over the twiddly knob syndrome in the webUI :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Apologies for the resurrecting the old thread. I had bought the 3702i a while ago never got around to configuring it to Autonomous & deploying it. This was configured for Controller mode. I don't have access to Cisco downloads and my google fu not helping either. Assume I need to somehow get the 15.3.3-JPQ2

Code:
Product/Model Number        : AIR-CAP3702I-B-K9
Part Number                    : 73-15243-01
PCB Serial Number            : FOC203311R4
Top Assembly Part Number    : 068-100891-01
Top Assembly Serial Number    : FCW2034N2WT
Top Revision Number            : A0