NOTE for future ASRock LGA3647 + Optane DCPMM / PMEM users...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Hey folks,

Today I deployed a flash-only server with an EPC621D8A and Optane DCPMM / PMEM As SLOG...

And I spent a solid hour troubleshooting, because once I installed the Optane DIMMs, the entire memory channel (including the regular RDIMM) was not recognised anymore.
I swapped RAM, DCPMMs and CPUs with no success.

Thanks to a hint from @RolloZ170 I realised that in opposite to other boards, ASRock boards have jumpers that need to be set in order for Optane to work!

In the manual they're simply labeled as "NVDIMM support" with no other hint about them anywhere in the manual...

So, if you're deploying an ASRock board with Optane and it doesn't work: Check your jumpers!

Reactions: gb00s and Rand__

technovelist

Dec 26, 2021
Hey folks,

Today I deployed a flash-only server with an EPC621D8A and Optane DCPMM / PMEM As SLOG...

And I spent a solid hour troubleshooting, because once I installed the Optane DIMMs, the entire memory channel (including the regular RDIMM) was not recognised anymore.
I swapped RAM, DCPMMs and CPUs with no success.

Thanks to a hint from @RolloZ170 I realised that in opposite to other boards, ASRock boards have jumpers that need to be set in order for Optane to work!

In the manual they're simply labeled as "NVDIMM support" with no other hint about them anywhere in the manual...

So, if you're deploying an ASRock board with Optane and it doesn't work: Check your jumpers!
Did you set up the Optane in memory mode or AppDirect?