[Not sure if a good deal] - QCT QuantaPlex T41S-2U 12x 3.5" LFF Bay 4x Node Server @ $619.9

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Not really sure if this is a deal since I've been out of the loop for a while now.
I can't grab it myself, but maybe someone else would like it...

QCT QuantaPlex T41S-2U 12x 3.5" LFF Bay 4x Node Server Barebone System | eBay ($499.95 + $ 119.95 S&H)

Note: I believe Quanta is now making it harder to get BIOS and BMC FW updates. Be prepared to not get any support, which means you may be stuck on E5 v3 if the board hasn't already been updated.
Even if you have the FW, you may need to practice caution with the update routine if these happen to suffer from the same CPLD issues that affected other QCT systems of that generation.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Id say its fairly normal price for being T41S, atleast the sff model is generaly available in that area.
With Quanta you usualy find the FW ok, but the parts can be a nightmare pricewise if you want to upgrade/replace stuff.

i keep drooling over these Apollo 2600 gen9 SFF units myself.

The 4in1 stuff has a suprisingly low demand even in the homelab community, considering that people frequently buy 4+ full 2U units at way higher cost and dont really use the additional space it gives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Snorf

aij

May 7, 2017
The 4in1 stuff has a suprisingly low demand even in the homelab community, considering that people frequently buy 4+ full 2U units at way higher cost and dont really use the additional space it gives.
Why not both? I'm currently running 6 2U units while my 4in1 and 1U sit powered off... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cruzader and Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Why not both? I'm currently running 6 2U units while my 4in1 and 1U sit powered off... :rolleyes:
I dont have any 4in1 atm but i will also get to this point :D

i really want to pick up 1-2 of them but i already bought 4 (+2 spares) of the huawei ddr4/v4 25SFF 2U boxes im running on, so when i do fall for temptation and pick up a apollo it will probably not even go into use when im done testing it for consumption etc.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
The biggest problem with the 4 node units are the lack of options inside you can put into them. We try and stick mostly with single 1U and 2U systems these days as it allows more cards and things to be added if needed.

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
What kind of options? You can add different types of NICs, there's even a 2 node version that can take a GPU inside.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The biggest problem with the 4 node units are the lack of options inside you can put into them. We try and stick mostly with single 1U and 2U systems these days as it allows more cards and things to be added if needed.
Considering the size of operation you will be at when running standard 1U/2U is not a space problem, you are not who they are trying to sell these to.

Most 4in1 can do nic/hba/gpu and match what the vast majority of 1U/2U hosts are ever specced to.
But the selling point of the 4in1 is that you can do 96 full feature hosts per rack and at a solid power consumption cut per host while doing it.

When you are doing a few hundread/thousand, that density and power reduction translates into large savings.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Considering the size of operation you will be at when running standard 1U/2U is not a space problem, you are not who they are trying to sell these to.

Most 4in1 can do nic/hba/gpu and match what the vast majority of 1U/2U hosts are ever specced to.
But the selling point of the 4in1 is that you can do 96 full feature hosts per rack and at a solid power consumption cut per host while doing it.

When you are doing a few hundread/thousand, that density and power reduction translates into large savings.
We have already a few hundred racks. It more comes down to what it's being used for and who your clients are.
Don't get me wrong these are great for their usage. Quanta also makes amazing gear we take great advantage of their 10/25g dual networking ports that still allow another PCIe card in them.

However, for the typical user here who like to add in more cards it might not be as good of an option for them.
The 1U systems if you don't require LFF drives are a much better option as they support nvme, and 8x sas3 for around the same price possibly a little more.