Not getting 10gbe Speeds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 14, 2017
I'm building a new NAS for my home network with a X10SDV-7TP8F running FreeNAS.

I picked up a Chelsio T520-SO-CR for my hackintosh/windows machine and it's functioning on both OS of the hackintosh.

However, I don't seem to be able to get 10 GBE performance fully on windows or OSX.

OSX seems to be restricted to 1 GBE to or from the tNAS.

Windows (10-64 bit) I am only getting 1GBE to the NAS, but I am seeing 10GBE speeds copying back to the computer (I set up a ramdisk to make sure I wasn't hitting any limits there under windows, have not tried it with the hackintosh).

I'm using a 10Gtek SFP+ cable, I wasn't certain what was best to get, but it's clearly at least partially working.

I've tried it both with a direct connection to the NAS and through a TP link switch with 10GBE SFP+ ports. It didn't seem to make a difference, but I've not done extensive testing between the two.

Is there something I'm likely to be overlooking? I'm new to the 10GBE world and SFP+ cabling.

gzorn

Jan 10, 2017
I'd suggest running iperf or another network testing tool between the NAS and the computer. At least you can check if it's the networking that's limiting. If this shows 10gbe performance, perhaps there are smb settings that aren't optimal.